AOL BROADBAND for £9.99

Options
Hi called aol today to say we were swapping to virgin media and would you believe they have given us broadband for the next 18 months at £9.99.
We have been with them for 7yrs and fancied a change but couldnt leave them when we got that rate!!;)

Comments

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is that their silver package that should be £14.99??

I'll give them a try soon - not just yet in case I end up moving. All I have done so far is reduce from Gold to Silver package - and as I don't download lots of films or music, I haven't noticed much difference, except in the wallet department :D
  • travelturkey
    Options
    I think thats a pretty good deal! Ive been on the £9.99 package for nearly a year now, and have just rang myself to see if i can get it any cheaper- but i think thats the lowest they'll go!
  • kirstymccr
    Options
    Hi
    This works - i spoke to them on sunday and they reduced mine from 14.99 - 9.99 and i asked for a free month which i also got - i was considering moving from them but after that decided to stay as iv never had a problem with internet through them
    :j Stopped smoking - 2nd Jan 09:j
  • Maxx
    Options
    Try ringing your provider and ask for your MAC and/or suggest you are shutting your account. It's always worth a try with AOL or any supplier, as they may well cut some deal to keep you with them, even if you have no intention of changing. I managed to get the price down to £9.99 a month, a free month, plus their fastest speed and a free router.
  • crystalsinger
    Options
    Funnily enough I did just that at the weekend. I was shopping around for broadband as I was paying £18.99 a month with AOL and only get about 1 meg due to location. O2 had best offer at £7.50 a month, but when I rang AOL the first time all I got was a foreign call centre who offered me no better than 9.99 for 6 months and then a year at 14.99. I then rang cancallation to get MAC code and a very nice lady double checked my account, then gave me a free wireless upgrade, £9.99 a month and as I had been overcharged, 2 months free. Total saving on what I would have paid this year £140!
    I think I am going slightly mad.....
  • loupy
    loupy Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AOL staff must be on happy pills today!

I just rang for my MAC code and was offered £9.99 per month for life for upto 8mb (although max on my line is 3.5mb) plus free evening and weekend landline calls via my existing BT line.

I was on the verge of defecting to Orange as I'm also renewing my pay monthly mobile contract but now I'm wavering. Although the Orange deal would still be cheaper (£15 per month for up to 8mb including line rental and all landline calls gratis) I've never had any problems with AOL during the 18 months I've been with them and so I'm wondering if I should just stay put.

The key thing for me is landline calls, particularly at the moment as I'm on maternity leave until August so am making calls during the day. I've been with Orange mobile for years and am ashamed to say haven't renegotiated my pay monthly contract for a good two or three years. I'm only doing it now because my phone is literally dying and also to try and tighten my belt as my maternity pay kicks in at 50% from February.

Any thoughts on whether AOL's reliability outweighs the saving if I go with Orange instead?
    Won 2011: Annual tastecard membership :T
  • jackiegibbo
    Options
    Is that their silver package that should be £14.99??

I'll give them a try soon - not just yet in case I end up moving. All I have done so far is reduce from Gold to Silver package - and as I don't download lots of films or music, I haven't noticed much difference, except in the wallet department :D

Hi no it was GOLD and we were paying £23.99 per month
  • sprokit
    sprokit Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Funnily enough I did just that at the weekend. I was shopping around for broadband as I was paying £18.99 a month with AOL and only get about 1 meg due to location. O2 had best offer at £7.50 a month, but when I rang AOL the first time all I got was a foreign call centre who offered me no better than 9.99 for 6 months and then a year at 14.99. I then rang cancallation to get MAC code and a very nice lady double checked my account, then gave me a free wireless upgrade, £9.99 a month and as I had been overcharged, 2 months free. Total saving on what I would have paid this year £140!

we had exactly the same thing last night - foreign call centre who were not prepared to go further than the 9.99 for 6 months - hubby gave up - I tried today and got the 9.99 for 18 months - which carries on at that rate after unless you ring to bargain again. No free months - but at least I don't feel that we are paying above the odds just because we have been with them a long time.
  • yaye
    yaye Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, just did the same thing as was suggested and was offered lifetime 8Mb for £9.99, but with an 18 month contract (at the Indian call centre, by the way). Has anyone managed to get it with a smaller contract, or on an ongoing basis? Did anyone get free months extra (without special circumstances)?
  • crystalsinger
    Options
    well I got the free wireless pack and installed it last night. Small problem with going wireless is that you cant if your computer is not wifi? enabled. My computer is 4 years old and deemed old by modern standards so I now need to go and buy a wifi dongle.....? Shame the wireless companies are not including the wifi enabler in the packs. Short delay until I can get to argos or similar, but at least the cables are in, and I can still broadband albeit with a cable.
    I think I am going slightly mad.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport