PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)

Comments

• SENSATIONAL CUPCAKES with WHITE CHOCOLATE FROSTING.

These are the best cupcakes i have ever tasted and everytime i make them they don't last the day.

150mls natural yogurt (room temp)
    3 large beaten eggs (room temp)
    175g caster sugar
    140g self raising flour
    100g ground almonds
    175g melted unsalted butter
    1tsp vanilla extract
    1tsp baking powder

Sift flour and baking powder in to mixing bowl,add almonds,sugar, vanilla extract,yoghurt,eggs and melted butter(make sure this is not hot melt on low then set to one side to cool).Fold in the ingredients untill well mixed,do not beat the mixture.Fill muffin cases makes between 15 and 17 cupcakes,and bake for 18-20 mins until golden and springy to the touch.

WHITE CHOCOLATE FROSTING

100g white chocolate(melted)
    140g unsalted butter
    140g icing sugar

Melt chocolate and set aside to cool,i do this before i start making the cupcakes.Beat butter and icing sugar together then add chocolate spread over cooled cupcakes and enjoy.This makes alot of frosting and i find i have enough if i make up half the recipe,if frosting seems a bit runny place in the fridge to firm up slightly.
  • viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Celery soup is the best soup ever....and I hate raw celery!...

saute half an onion in marge or butter for a minute or so, add the celery which you've sliced pretty thinly across the grain to minimise the strings, cook for 5 minutes without colour

add a level tablespoon of flour

stir and cook for a minute or so

add around 1/2 pint of chicken stock - Knorr is the nicest and 1/2 pint of milk (add less or more depending on how thick it's turning out to be)

cook for around 20 mins until the celery is soft

check the seasoning and add more if need be

whizz in a blender or processor

freezes very well.
    Well I have to say that soup was fantastic its the first time I have ever made soup it was really easy to do and I really enjoyed it. Thanks
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Judi wrote: »
    5-6 Carrots
    2 medium sized Potatoes
    red onion
    garlic
    stock cube

Cook the carrots and potatoes until soft (no need to remove the skins off everything just wash well). Can steam / boil / microwave to cook them.

Cook the onion and garlic in a little butter.

Add everything into a blender, add some black pepper and salt.

Add a stock cube to the water that was used to cook the carrots and potatoes (this way you got some of the goodness back that leached out during cooking). Add a little of the stock to the mixture in the blender.

Blend and then serve. Can be frozen once cooked.
    I just made it mmmmm delicious Thanks
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,311
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Bumping this thread,to 1st page.Hope JamesY find's it. Will now lose myself having a read through it.:D
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Just done this tonight and someone suggested sharing, makes a healthy 6 portions (probably more if you're not a piggy like me as it was yum!) to go with rice or a crusty bread

3 tins or equivalent in dried beans cooked as per instructions - I used cannelini, kidney and butter but you can use any or maybe even some ...lentils too ..... Possibly chick peas
    1 can chopped tomatoes or same in fresh
    One carton of passata
    Can of tomato puree
    250-300g chopped chorizo (lidls is cheapest I think)
    1 onion diced finely
    Little sweetener to take the sharp tomato taste off - honey, sweetener or sugar
    Spice to taste - I used a huge tablespoon of fajita seasoning/texmex from asda, some chopped coriander and a spoon of chilli pur!e .... Plus a bit lol hence too much

Cooked the chorizo off a little first, drained the excess oil, put onion in to soften for 5 mins then threw the rest in and cook for at least 20 minutes. Need to make sure the beans are cooked first or canned as they contain nasty toxins when under cooked which is why I used canned this time but dried tends to be even cheaper. Just served with rice.

Think I might add peppers next time I make it, could be a veggie meal without the chorizo too, adding finely diced carrot, squash, whatever even add quorn or could use chicken, bacon, anything really. You don't need to use as much chorizo, I had one which needed using up but it's such a strong flavour you could use much less or add more beans/tomatoes.

With the rice it cost me £3.80, that was using budget brand where possible and didn't include spices/coriander/sweetener. I used canned beans so dried will likely be cheaper still.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • silvermaid
    silvermaid Posts: 643 Forumite
    Lil_me just found this site and read your recipe and it sounds delish.
    And the celery and carrot soup recipes sound great too.
    I'm just off to look at what is in the fridge to make Soup Special of the week and I know I have a head of celery that needs using up ...
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    Groucho Marx :laugh:
    As Cranky says, "M is for mum, not maid".
  • chella71
    chella71 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Fab Chicken curry!!

Made this quite a few times now and can't seem to go wrong with it, my two young children love it as the spices are warm rather than hot.

1 onion
    2 cloves garlic
    small amount vegetable oil
    chicken, I use breast but could use most cuts
    1 tsp mustard seeds (I'm sure recipe originally asked for yellow or brown but I only had black and that was fine)
    1 tin coconut milk

Marinade

small tsp tumeric
    large tsp ground coriander
    1tsp paprika
    1tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    ½ tsp salt
    75ml/2¾fl oz water

I'm sure with the marinade you could leave out a couple of spices if you don't have them but it really does taste lovely and once you have the spices in you have enough for tonnes of curry :p

Mix the marinade ingredients together and coat the chicken with it, marinate for as long as you can, if you only have 5 minutes that will do but so will 2 hours ;)

Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds until they start to pop then add the onion and garlic and fry until translucent then add the chicken and all the marinade. Fry over a gentle heat for about 8 minutes before adding the coconut milk. Increase the heat and simmer for around 10 minutes making sure chicken is cooked through
    Serve with whatever you fancy, rice, naan bread or both :D

Enjoy
    Fan of Money Saving OS :j
    First mortgage 94,639.49
    Second mortgage £38,133.49 making overpayments of £75 per month from November '10 :T
  • live'n'learn
    live'n'learn Posts: 412 Forumite
    If anyone has some time on their hands could they add a recipe or 2 just so that i can cook some nice meals for my wife?

Anything would do from a family recipe to something from abroad..
  • kittycat204
    kittycat204 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    seems i can't post links, try the bbc food web site, bbc good food website, food dot com good to know recipe search and uk tv good food website.

thousand to pick from now, have fun. X
    Opinion on everything, knowledge of nothing.
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 5 June 2011 at 2:39PM
    It might help if you tell us what you like? Or, perhaps more importantly, what you don't :)

Until then, delicious. and Good Food are my two favourite websites.

I also like Cooks Illustrated, but you have to pay for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure