Debenhams new return policy?

Options
i'd already posted this on a Debenham's thread on the 'Shop don't Drop' board but this is probably a more appropriate one...

I'm really cross - hopping mad :mad: I had no idea that Debenham's had changed their return policy.

I bought my daughter 3 outfits so that she could see which one she wanted to wear at a wedding, took 2 back the following morning and because they were reduced to half-price in the sale, Debenhams won't give me a refund.:mad:

They only give a credit voucher or exchange for anything reduced half-price or more. I don't remember hearing anything about this and I certainly wasn't told this by the assistant.

To be fair, they do have notices up at the till points but i didn't bother to read them as they were in red I thought they were just about what bargains were in the sale. Plus, I thought I knew what their returns policy was.

Anyway, hope this tale may help someone else who hadn't heard of the change of policy.

Comments

• Stonk
    Stonk Posts: 937 Forumite
    Options
    You have no statutory right to a refund on perfectly good items, and I think it's a damned cheek when people abuse the goodwill of shops that have a more tolerant returns policy that they have to, meaning that the clothes I buy as new have quite probably already been worn by a complete stranger. Yeuch.

It's doubly annoying that you have the gall to whinge about it when caught out.

Next time take your daughter with you and try them on in the shop.
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To be fair, stonk, you don't know how many people have tried on the item you buy before you buy it - no matter if it has been out of the shop or not! Also - its not always practical to get kids at the shops at the same time as you are available - I know this well!

In those circumstances I *always* check that it will be okay to get a refund if the goods are not suitable or if I have taken items to try. Then at least if you do have problems then you can state categorically that you were told that it would not be a problem and that you would not have bought the products if that wasn't the case.

Anyway, its good that you have brought the change of policy to peoples attention - its always good to know!
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Stonk wrote:
    You have no statutory right to a refund on perfectly good items, and I think it's a damned cheek when people abuse the goodwill of shops that have a more tolerant returns policy that they have to, meaning that the clothes I buy as new have quite probably already been worn by a complete stranger. Yeuch.

It's doubly annoying that you have the gall to whinge about it when caught out.

Next time take your daughter with you and try them on in the shop.

I realise that I have no statutory right to a refund on goods that aren't damaged/faulty but Debenhams used to accept sale returns and they would refund with a receipt. I don't think I am abusing the goodwill of the shop, I thought that they still did, therefore expected to be refunded.

My point is that that I'm cross that I wasn't made aware of the fact that their policy had changed.

No - my daughter did not wear the clothes, they were returned the following morning, labels and tags intact!!

And yes - I would have taken her if she hadn't been at school! You ask me to let her try the clothes on in store but what's the difference to trying them on at home?
  • davidcampbell
    Options
    i think the point stonk is trying to make .....
    My point is that that I'm cross that I wasn't made aware of the fact that their policy had changed.

oh but you were

To be fair, they do have notices up at the till points but i didn't bother to read them as they were in red I thought they were just about what bargains were in the sale. Plus, I thought I knew what their returns policy was.

DC
  • sockospice
    sockospice Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To be fair, you did say that there were signs up, but you couldn't be bothered to read them. That's hardly Debenhams fault, is it? How were they to know that you intended to return some of the items? If you'd have mentioned it and they hadn't informed you of what you could expect, then you might have some cause to complain.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't tend to buy a lot from Debenhams but this post interested me. During sales and things at my local Debenhams they close most of the changing rooms to free up staff to man the tills. So that is a double whammy, you can't try the stuff on without having to find the one changing room hidden behind the mens loo (or whatever) that is open and has a queue out the door, but you also can't take the items back if they don't fit!

I think I'll stick with Primark!

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sockospice wrote:
    To be fair, you did say that there were signs up, but you couldn't be bothered to read them. That's hardly Debenhams fault, is it? How were they to know that you intended to return some of the items? If you'd have mentioned it and they hadn't informed you of what you could expect, then you might have some cause to complain.

I wouldn't normally ask what the returns policy was for a chain store that I regularly shopped in because I thought i knew what Debenhams was, although I will check in future. But I'll bet there are many people who still don't know of the change.

I was aware of the signs but as there were all in red, assumed that they were just about sale bargains - the same as others throughout the store. Didn't read them until I tried to return the items.

But you have just reminded me that I did tell the assistant that I was taking the outfits so that my daughter could pick one for the wedding. We had a discussion with the customer next to me as to why I was taking 3 suits, virtually identical. I can't honestly remember whether I said that I'd return the ones that didn't fit but from that, I think you could assume that I would.

It will make me more aware the next time I buy something for someone else but I just wish Debenhams had written to all account holders to point out about their change of policy like M&S did when theirs changed.
  • theresa17
    theresa17 Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry, this is not a reply as such, but am newbie to forum and could not
    find out how to start a new thread so here is my problem -

bought a few elvi clothes last month in debenhams - paid on gold card as they always refund in full - so thought it was safe even though i knew elvi was closing at end June. Took back 2 of the items last week - elvi department had gone - overnight apparently. is there anything i can do to get my money back (£135) or do i just put it down to experience.

hope someone can out there can help
  • MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Would the assistant not take the goods back?
    I'm sure the Debenham's receipt says how long you have to return items on the back (I'm sorry I can't find one to check). Is it not 28 days? If you are within that period and there is nothing wrong with the items (you haven't worn them etc) they should take them back, at any of the tills throughout the store. It's not your fault that elvi are no longer in debenhams.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Hi theresa17,

Were the items still at full price when you bought them? What does the receipt say about refunds? Is the store offering you an exchange?

You say about the gold card refunding in full - is this a special feature of the card?
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport