We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

cravings

Options

Comments

• penrith
    penrith Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    i had very boring cravings for milk, cheese, cottage cheese & yogurts in the early stages and then later on in pregnancy (i later found out i was iron deficient) i just wanted to stuff myself with any green veg i could get my hands on; sprouts (!) cabbage, peas, mainly.

I came to the conclusion that it was just mother nature telling me what me&baby needed most at that particular time. First time in my life i actually started to listen to my body and give it what it needed and not what i thought it needed.
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    I HAD to smell the cats feet :rolleyes: yum!

Oher than that it was Double Deckers, tomatoes (never tasted one before I was preggers), lemons, scampi and LOADS OF ICE!!!!

Oh... and the smell of chlorine :o
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• System
    System Posts: 178,117 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I only crave two things and that is chocolate and when i am approaching the time of the month i crave bread.:o I am trying to beat my craving to chocolate by only buying one bar when i have my weekly shopping delivered, but i am only into a fortnight of that and the cravings are awful. I am hoping to wean myself totally off it. The bread isnt so easy to ignore though. My stomache tells me its full but my head is telling me i need bread, its fine the rest of the month though.:confused:

When i was carrying my girls i craved sweet things, (jam sandwiches) but strangely enough, when i was carried my boys it was savoury foods. Come to giving birth to number three and subsequent children, i knew exactly what sex i was carrying from about the 4th month of pregnancy and wasnt wrong once.
  • s@sha
    s@sha Posts: 583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm 29 weeks pregnant & I've been really boring...I haven't had any cravings, but I did 'go off' things. Early in the pregnancy I couldn't stand chocolate, curry or pizza...probably just as well!

Since last week cups of tea taste really funny..I though it was the milk at first, but I've realised it's just me...though I didn't think you got things like that at this stage. I've had to stop drinking it, it just tastes 'off', with a funny tang to it. :confused:
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    35 weeks & haven't had a single craving, very dissapointed as I was looking forward to being weird:eek: For the first 5 months I did go right off tea, coffee, chocolate & wine but now back on all of them thankfully!

I have a colleague who is now 30 weeks gone & has been craving deep fried insects!!!!! She has been buying them in specality asian stores, mostly spiders & locuts !! (SP?) She says she loves the crunchy texture!!?? And the manager of the nail salon I occasionally use has a craving for dettol...thankfully she hasn't resorted to drinking it but she keeps taking the lid off the bottle & sniffing it, and is cleaning everything like mad with it to get a fix:p
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • keatergreyhound
    Options
    For me it was melons. Id buy 5 to keep me going for a couple of days. Slicwe down the middle scoop out the seeds and dig in with a spoon. Any time any place. Work thought id gone mad. Asdas sales must have gone up for those 7 months
    2007 is my getting slim year
    Total weight loss so far is 16llbs:T
    Total to go 15 pounds:eek:
    Not no more as im having a baby:D
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    this is my second pregnancy. both times i've wanted green veg in early pregnancy, and also dairy products which i don't normally like at all. that must just be my body knowing what i'm short of. then in the last 2 months my fruit craving kicked in, especially for fruits i'm allergic to lol! i have permanent migraine because i want pineapple, kiwi, orange, raspberries etc. and it's a proper craving not just 'i feel like eating ...' strawberries don't give me migraine and thankfully that's the thing i want most of, asda are doing well out of me - it's not just fresh strawberries and strawberry tea, i desperately NEED their strawberry slurp (water with natural strawberry flavouring) and would walk a marathon to get some lol! i've been trying to cut down, trying to drink ribena instead but it just doesn't work ...

i've always loved petrol, tippex, etc. and the smell of new catalogues ... mmmmm .... i get cravings every month when i'm not pregnant, bread is a common one, also eggs, especially pickled ones from the chip shop. i've never fancied coal though.
    52% tight
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Luckily I've never craved anything, however, I did have a very sweet tooth from 23 weeks pregnant with DS2 (which is when they get their taste buds) and DS2 is a nightmare to feed. He has a very sweet tooth and loves his brekkie (as I did ) but not his tea.

I remember hating the smell of petrol when I was young but my sister loved it. Now, I don't mind it. I still like the smell of those marker pens we had when we were young :D.....
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my first son, I got cravings for fresh peaches/nectarines and grapes. Gallons of cold, cold, milk and McVities digestives first thing in the morning, very spicy food and strange concoctions, like celery, mature cheddar chunks and pineapple - just the mix of salt/sweet textures/tastes. I ate box loads of peaches/nectarines. That was the main thing, and braeburn apples. Had to be from M&S and super crisp and crunchy, soft ones were no use. Whenever an offer was on for BOGOF peaches/nectarines I'd buy them out. I also drank Irn Bru by the gallon.

With my second I just craved chocolate and apple juice/braeburn apples again.

Went right off hot chocolate whereas before I drank it by the gallon.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    Options
    I needed celery and spring onions when celery was unavailable. I once had to stop the car in the middle of town, leap out and buy a bunch from the grocer which I then proceeded to nosh immediately.

My mother in law used to greet me with,' I've got a lovely bunch of celery for you in the kitchen'.

Funny, I never used to like it.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 237K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure