We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
New Chase Regular Saver 6.5%
Comments
-
Don't believe so, the cashback site I use will return the Merchant Code for "Misc & speciality retail stores" rather than "Grocery Stores, Supermarkets" which is needed to trigger Chase cashback.
Not actually tested this empirically, I use Lloyds CC for 1% cashback at gift card store.
0 -
I wouldn't have thought so, as the MCC would be for gift cards rather than supermarkets. You might get it on gift cards for any retailer purchased at a supermarket.
0 -
That's a bit annoying re the bus company. Also seems a bit odd, you'd imagine a bus company would have to be using an appropriate MCC.
1 -
I think Chase are overly fussy about Merchant codes. My bus company I don't get cashback if I use the app, but I do if I pay on the bus.
But I do get cashback with my NatWest Travel Credit Card.
Chase blame merchant codes, but it's really a Chase issue
I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?1 -
Yeah, I spent £200 in a resturant that went into "holidays" category, spoke with them on a chat and they balmed the MCC codes and suggested I ask next time before payment.. yeah right, the waiter should clearly know that :)
Anyway, I have a £1k with their 2.25% so very happy to swap it for 6.5%, instead of losing £2 a month I will gain £2.
2 -
I made a recent purchase from my Barclays current account (via open banking) for a Tuck cashback gift card to use at Waitrose.
Unfortunately, because it was done through open banking, there is no MCC code attached to the transaction, and Barclays have confirmed to me that even if I made the purchase by debit card, they're not allowed to share that MCC code with me.
Appreciate this is going off piste from the regular saver, but the Chase 2% cashback has become a little more appealing now we can hold at least £300 of the £1k at 6.5%, and in 3 months, all of it at 6.5%
0 -
Was the restaurant in a hotel or resort or attached to a golf club etc?
I know spend at the restaurant/cafe in my local hospital doesn't generate cashback, but that's hardly a holiday destination.
0 -
Daft rule at Barclays. Other banks like Chase & Lloyds decode the MCC to a description to show on transaction details. The actual (nnnn) codes are available with a Google search.
Are you able to purchase gift cards at Tuck using a card? I couldn't find how.
1 -
Yes, hotel restaurant in London - Shangri-La - so a big worldwide chain.
Btw, ive confirmed on chat that regular saver counts towards £1000 requirement for the cashback so thats awesome. Will reduce the balance by £300 in Ocotber as dont want to mess up now.. and I take everything they say on chat with pinch of salt - but at least have a proof now.
1 -
Chat told me the same this morning too, so they're clearly consistent that it's a qualifying account.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



