We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
New printer advice
Hi wondering if anyone can help, I've had an HP deskjet 2700 for a few years and it is driving me crazy, it always goes offline never responds etc I'm forever reinstalling it, can anyone recommend a replacement for around £50 that actually works and ink doesn't cost a fortune? thank you
Comments
-
If you buy a brand new HP printer check as to whether it will allow compatible (cheaper) cartriges or not. Some do not. I replaced an HP Printer with a Brother one (laser though) and am very satisfied. You could check out this deskjet
Brother DCP-J1260W Wireless
but it is £74 at Amazon.
2 -
I avoided HP when my old one finally gave up the ghost because, as the PP says, their new ones all appear to be set up to only accept genuine HP cartridges.
I now have a Canon Pixma which does accept 'lookie likey' cartridges, but they are still quite expensive
1 -
Printer ink, expensive stuff as AI can confirm.
"On average, original name-brand printer ink costs between £1.50 and £3.50 per millilitre for standard cartridges. This extreme pricing makes it one of the most expensive liquids on earth, notoriously costing more per volume than luxury champagne or high-end perfume."1 -
Laser all the way. I bought a mono Samsung M2835DW in 2014 and it's still going strong - printed over 7000 pages. I use 3rd party cartridges now. Previous deskjets seemed to forever clog up or dry out.
I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.3 -
100%
After many years of my Epson inkjet blocking its jets and refusing to connect I binned it for a mono HP LaserJet M209dw, double what the OP is talking about but worth every penny.
1 -
With a HP printer when setting it up DON'T activate the HP+ otherwise it will tie you in to HP refills only.
0 -
It would be useful to know what kind of things you want to print and how much?
0 -
You've done better than I did, I bought mine in 2016 but it eventually drove me mad with paper jams so in 2023 I bought a Brother HL-L2350DW which has been excellent. It was more expensive than the OP's budget (£144 from Argos) but it has auto-duplex printing which was a must have feature for me, if it's not needed then there's probably something available at a lower price. I'd never go back to inkjet.
2 -
We've got a relatively cheap HP inkjet - £60 possibly a few years ago? - that gets a lot of hammer as my wife is a teacher and does a lot of home printing. We get 300 pages a month for £13.49, that's colour and b&w. You get the new cartridges sent out automatically so all you need to do is put the new one in and return the old ones in a prepaid envelope. Any extra pages over 300 cost a relatively low amount and there are cheaper subscriptions for lower users. This isn't for everyone obviously, but ist a lot cheaper than buying individual cartridges individually if you print a lot.
0 -
I'm another happy Brother mono laser printer owner. Mine's an MFP (prints, scans, copies and even faces, if you can find someone else with a fax machine).
See this fairly recent thread for a similar discussion.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards




