We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Is TalkTalk going into Administration
Comments
-
obviously BT can only be the provider of last resort for Talk Talk customers on Openreach , TT customers on other networks will be a more complicated proposition, but the principle remains, the end user not penalised for the poor management of the CP , it’s something of a vicious circle , customers with any sense and aware that this company is in a death spiral jump ship where they are at least in control of who they end up with , leaving the remainder that’s ever diminishing a less attractive buy for those that may be interested in acquisition….basically why pay anything for these customers , when they will be up for grabs for free in the near future anyway , they may not get 100% of them as you would with an acquisition , but how many would remain after their enforced transfer terms expire ?
0 -
but how many would remain after their enforced transfer terms expire ?
We still get threads from posters who were with Posy Office or Shell for broadband and are now with TalkTalk. Those two businesses became TT long enough ago that any existing contracts will have expired, but they've stuck with TT and either taken a new contract or have rolled on monthly by month.
So I guess anyone who's still with TT if/when a SOLR transfer takes place is quite likely to be a "sticky" customer who won't (or can't) switch away.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0 -
What impact would there be for Utility Warehouse customers if Talk Talk go into administration?
On their help page for users moved over from TT, UW mention being a wholesale partner of TalkTalk.
1 -
Indeed, and @twopenny mentioned that upthread.
I, too, was with Post Office, Shell, Octopus and now TT.
Ordinarily, a cohort of such "loyal" customers might well be considered an asset but I suspect they are a loss-making cohort with contracts that might not have expired.
I know I am on a "forever" contract from when I first signed up to Post Office, and quite happy to pay £18.95 per month. TT periodically send an invite to move from the "legacy" contract to a "modern" contract but the alternatives offered are always more per month and often less inclusive service level. I happily fail to respond.
I suppose, eventually, at some point, whoever holds this batch of customers at the time will simply determine that "forever" or "lifetime" has ended and take the publicity hit of ending that rate. Maybe when that happens, I will simply then look for what the best current offer is in the market place, or maybe we'll see another of the "I had a forever contract and they are doing the dirty" threads. In my case, also, and I assume for others in the "forever" cohort, the SoLR that inherits us will also have to cover the costs of switching to digital.
So, this "sticky" customers who won't (or can't) switch away are not "loyal" but just not mad enough to change - make hay while the sun shines 🙂
3 -
Is there actually a formal "SOLR" process for telecom failures ? If so ,I can never remember it coming up before .
Would be difficult to enforce with alternate cable networks.,ie not on BT
0 -
My parent's TalkTalk monthly bill was stupidly high. A few months ago I realised this and to avoid any undue stress in switching provider I renewed and save them almost £20 a month, and now on a new TalkTalk 2 year contract. I now wish I had moved them to another provider. We will see what unfolds.
0 -
I've found this but no idea how it would work in practice.
It seems to suggest you get to a point where somebody goes bust and the customer doesn't pick another provider, they'll have no broadband at all after a certain notice period.
https://www.offta.org.uk/siteassets/ota/solr-industry-process.pdf?v=384772However I cannot see that being an acceptable outcome in the modern era. It is more likely customers will be transferred to another provider, or somebody (BT maybe?) effectively runs the end user internet portion of the service as a stop-gap.
0 -
I think it has the potential to be very messy. There is an assumption that BT could/would step in but I'm not sure how attractive or viable that would be.
BT doesn't do Cityfibre
BT doesn't do PXC
Even BT would struggle to adopt 1.5 million customers overnight
If the TT retail customers get moved off of PXC, then PXC would be in trouble
Why would BT "babysit" a load of budget conscious customers if the end game was to move them to other ISP's and who would fund the cost of doing that.
I guess it will be clearer soon enough
0 -
As you say why would BT voluntarily do this , especially given (I’d imagine) the majority of TT customers wouldn’t chose to use BT if they had any say in it , but it wouldn’t be voluntary, it should not come as a surprise to anyone that Ofcom and the Government ‘interfere’ with BT /Openreach in a way that every other provider doesn’t have to worry about , like the latest one , OR offer to discount the provision work the ISP pays when a property doesn’t currently have a working Openreach connection, this saving could be passed onto the consumer but Ofcom have said it’s not allowed , in effect forcing Openreach to charge more , not less to the ISP , so when it comes to providers of last resort BT won’t have the choice to refuse, it will be forced upon them.
0 -
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

