We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Is TalkTalk going into Administration

Molly4
Molly4 Posts: 893 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
edited 25 September at 8:30AM in Broadband & internet access

Good Morning

I have just read online that TalkTalk maybe going into Administration soon.

Does anyone know if this is true?

I've been a customer of theirs for years and want to know if I need to find a new provider now or wait and see what happens?

I can't really be without an internet connection. I have about 6 months left on my contract and do not want to incur get out charges if I leave now.

«13

Comments

  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 13,109 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper

    It will almost certainly be sold as a going concern if it goes into administration, your broadband will not just shut off, as a consumers you will be unlikely to see any material change.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,851 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 25 September at 8:42AM

    I have just read online that TalkTalk maybe going into Administration soon. Does anyone know if this is true?

    As Matt^3 says above, even if it's true it's likely TT will continue to trade under administration and will be sold as a going concern.

    Or alternatively, its remaining customers will be sold to another provider. This has been going on for a while now. See for example this MSE article from 2025.

    I've been a customer of theirs for years and want to know if I need to find a new provider now or wait and see what happens?

    Best wait and see.

    I can't really be without an internet connection.

    It's very unlikely that TT entering administration would result in your broadband being cut off.

    However, if you rely on your broadband connection for safety or business purposes you should probably have a fallback option. Broadband connections do fail from time to time and consumer broadband doesn't generally have any guarantees for reconnection. You might want to consider eg. a mobile broadband service, a second wired broadband via an altnet or even Starlink as a second service.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,941 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    They are in dire straits, they have have significant debt, the offer price to buy the the retail business has been reduced from £250m to £100m and the sale of the wholesale business has stalled. They are due to make a large payment to Openreach at the end of this month.

  • mebu60
    mebu60 Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    If you have talktalk email accounts you might want to consider creating a new email address (or addresses) with a web based service such as gmail (many other providers are available, I use zohomail) and migrating across before your contract finishes.

  • amcc1
    amcc1 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    Some interesting coverage of this on BBC R4 at 7:20 this morning.

    Opus Broadband have made a new offer for Talk Talk’s consumer arm (not finalised). Customers shouldn’t be affected..

    Broadband companies in general, and resellers in particular, are finding it hard to make a profit.

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 25 September at 9:52AM

    Oh good grief! I've been moved from the Post office bb to Shell BB to Octopus BB to Talk talk who wanted me to renew early then tried to charge me for the renew. I made sure they didn't 😬

    I still have nightmares from TT customer service.

    But to the OP, I didn't have any interruption in service except I occasionally get brief connection down since being with TT, just enough to be irritated by. So a move could be for the better.

    But with each change over you wouldn't know it.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • Molly4
    Molly4 Posts: 893 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I moved house a year ago. I decided to stay with TalkTalk to avoid charges for ending my contract early. So all I did was change address.

    So what did TalkTalk do? They charged me for ending my contract early. It was quite a nightmare to get my money back and convince them that I had not ended my contract early and that I had only changed address.

  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    What happens if they fail to pay Openreach ? I doubt OR will want to be a pennies in the £ creditor so could it lead to TT customers being cut off ?

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Their silly pricing tactics coming home to roost ? Cheaper alternatives are available and more people are now actively looking at switching to a different provider or 4G/5G. Churn costs money.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 13,109 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 26 September at 9:19AM

    Then TalkTalk will be in breach of contract with OpenReach and wound up. OpenReach already are a pennies in the pound creditor.

    Yes it could in theory lead to customers being cut off, but not instantly and that is highly unlikely. There is already conversations going on and it is likely that BT will be forced to take on the TalkTalk customers by Ofcom, on what terms exactly is to be decided and is likely part of the arguments that have delayed things. If TalkTalk do fail then a Suppler of Last Resort process kicks in, that is almost certainly BT (they have already been asked/told). BT would be forced to accept the contract terms that TalkTalk customers were on and potentially compensated via a surcharge on everyone's bills the same as happens for energy.

    In short, you will not get cut off, but we may all get screwed over.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.