We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

HSBC APP

ccluedo
ccluedo Posts: 740 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 17 September at 3:12PM in Budgeting & bank accounts

App is in my Samsung secure folder and I use a reputable VPN.

I have been using the app without issue for months ....until today.

Now I get a security alert message asking me to uninstall any virtual space apps.

I've tried pausing and even disconnecting the vpn but still same message. Obviously I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall the vpn every time I want to use the app...any other suggestions apart from just using the less convenient website instead?

Thanks

«134

Comments

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,810 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Are you sure the message is from HSBC? Have you clicked on any links in it? I'm forever getting messages saying that something is wrong with an app or my account, including ones I don't have, which I assume are all from scammers.

    I'd suggest you look up online HSBC's phone number and ask them about it.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • Are you sure the issue is because of the VPN app? It reads more like HSBC is not liking something with the Secure Folder.

    Best to raise this with HSBC.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,047 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 September at 3:22PM

    Is it perhaps related to this issue, reported with the FD app but potentially applicable to HSBC too?

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 766 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 17 September at 3:45PM

    You can no longer use the HSBC app in the secure folder

    I have talked to the mobile banking team at HSBC as I had exactly the same thing

    The solution is to uninstall it from the secure folder and reinstall it outside the secure folder

    Unless you have the app on another phone (outside the secure folder) you will have to choose the option 'I no longer have my old phone' when you come to sign in

    Alternatively call the mobile banking team on 0345 600 2290 and ask them to deactivate the app and then start again as a new user

    You will then need your telephone banking pin or alternatively your driver's license and take a selfie

  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 17 September at 3:53PM

    ccluedo

    App is in my Samsung secure folder and I use a reputable VPN.

    <snip>

    Now I get a security alert message asking me to uninstall any virtual space apps.

    The message seems to be referring to Secure Folder rather than any networking issue that might be caused by a VPN.

    Why do you use Secure Folder for your banking app out of interest? Banking apps already introduce another security check when opening the app (mitigating the risk of a phone being stolen while it is unlocked), and then also require additional security checks when doing things like adding a new payee.

    If it's in case of the very specific scenario where you are held hostage and forced to send the money (so you're using it to effective hide the app), then just put it in on the second page of a folder with an obscure name (e.g. games). I'm sure in this very specific scenario they're less likely to check Games or Social Media or whatever than Secure Folder.

    Or was simply because it is called 'Secure Folder'.

    Know what you don't
  • ccluedo
    ccluedo Posts: 740 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 17 September at 3:54PM

    @eskbanker

    As soon as I seen keyboard mentioned I did actually recall that I had to change from SwiftKey to Samsung keyboard when I initially installed it to resolve similar problem, so tnx for that.

    Of course due to the above I now use the default keyboard so it's not that.

    I'll contact them but it seems from mta999 comment that it's the secure folder that's the problem.

    Although why on earth a bank would NOT want u to be as secure as possible is a mystery. Zopa is same.

    Thanks all.

  • ccluedo
    ccluedo Posts: 740 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 17 September at 4:03PM

    The latter to be honest.

    "Samsung Secure Folder is a private, encrypted space on your Galaxy device powered by the defense-grade Samsung Knox security platform. It isolates your sensitive photos, videos, files, and apps from the rest of your phone."

    Correct re VPN...uninstall didn't make any difference so as others have also said..Secure Folder seems to be the issue.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,463 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Although why on earth a bank would NOT want u to be as secure as possible is a mystery. Zopa is same.

    The security in the app is checking to make sure that the OS/device on which it's been installed is absolutely kosher, so not rooted or otherwise deviant. The Secure Folder is being seen as "special", and not in a good way.

    HSBC & Zopa are not alone, Barclays/Barclaycard, Virgin CC, Standard Life and no doubt a screed of others won't run in there either.

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 766 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Yes I agree that that is what is happening and whereas I would rather run the app in the secure folder if HSBC want to make it so that it will only run outside the secure folder then so be it

    However what I do take objection to is that they don't let anybody know in advance so that you wake up in the morning and your banking app won't work and you can't log on to internet banking either because you need a code generated by the banking app to do that

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 766 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 17 September at 4:26PM

    1. go to the Google Play Store
    2. search HSBC app
    3. look at reviews
    4. sort by 'most recent'
    5. see the number of one stars because of this problem
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.