We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
First Direct App - Security Problem Stops Access
Flagging this up because if you encounter this error and are not able to fix or mitigate then your access to FD is ceased, since the app is needed for online access too.
Had this error when starting the FD app today:
!
We've detected app(s) on your device that pose a security risk, which has caused the first direct Mobile Banking App to shut down. To keep your account safe you won't be able to access our App on this device
To restore access to the first direct Mobile Banking App you can:
turn off accessibility for these app(s)
or remove the app(s) from your device.
Please update your apps regularly to maintain the necessary security and performance
[text has been copied from shonky photo b/c FD app doesn't allow screenshots]
App is installed in Secure folder of Samsung phone.
Anyone seen this? Any idea which app(s) might have upset FD? Pretty careful about what apps I install on the phone and particularly into the secure area.
I was able to install/use app outside secure folder.
Comments
-
I've just tried my FD ap on my phone and I am not seeing that issue.
Did your message actually state which other apps they say are the problem?
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.1 -
The usual question in these circumstances is "what's changed since it last worked?"
New apps recently installed? OS updates? etc
2 -
No it didn't, I've quoted the full text of the message above.
I've had a chat (online) with FD CS and they gave pretty generic security advice (any apps installed from outside official stores? Anyone asked for remote access?). Not much help.
I've run Norton/BT's Cyber Threat Protect (it happened to be on the phone) against the secure/non secure areas on the phone - nothing found.
0 -
I agree, trouble is I last accessed this app at beginning of the month (to verify funding of the RS).
I don't keep a record of new apps going into the secure area (does anyone?) and there's no option to view apps in install/last update order. Only one I recall is the Scottish Building Society and of course there could have been any number of automatic updates.
At least 1 OS/Android security update this month.
0 -
What phone & version of O/S.
As after so long, O/S become unsupported due to security issues.
Life in the slow lane1 -
Think I'm OK, Samsung Galaxy A54 5G running Android 16/OneUI 8.5, last security patch 5 June 26.
1 -
Has the app updated lately? It's entirely possible they might have introduced a bug that makes it choke on something to do with the app being in a secure folder.
1 -
Oh well done! Checked the app in the Play Store, updated 06/07.
Screed of comments saying the thing has stopped working - seems that FD have decided that using anything other than the Google Keyboard (Gboard) is a security risk - I use SwiftKey.
Not entirely convinced since I'm now working outside of secure folder, and I'm sure there would have been a bit more noise about this if it were more widespread. Maybe they've fixed it but not quite.
Maybe not such a daft restriction - I know that Samsung only enable their full-monty AI agent on the phone when you default to using their keyboard - way to get around app permissions?
3 -
Sadly there's a few banking apps that won't work in a Samsung Secure Folder. Another one is the Barclaycard app.
0 -
…and Barclays, Standard Life, CMC, Virgin Credit Card, Starling, Zopa. That's just the ones I use.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

