We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Mifi with poor wifi signal
Comments
-
Tagging on the this thread, just been given a mifi as my wifi signal is poor - would use it for TV watching and using laptop but not heavy use so do you think the 50gb would be ok or should I go for unlimited
The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o
A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)0 -
This is the usual rule of thumb for data use when streaming TV
Data Usage by Video Quality
- Standard Definition (SD / 480p): Uses about 0.7 to 1 GB per hour.
- High Definition (HD / 1080p): Uses about 3 to 4 GB per hour.
- 4K Ultra HD (UHD): Uses about 7 to 10+ GB per hour.
Your laptop use would only be significant if you were streaming video on that too.
1 -
so would really need unlimited if I wanted to watch tv etc if SD used 1GB per hour
The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o
A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)0 -
It really depends on how much TV you watch.
1 -
I am looking online and the best deal for unlimited is ID for £15 per month no contract - I don't actually watch that much tv etc but I am currently under contract with TT and pay about £20 per month but my internet is fairly rubbish so was thinking about using a mifi device and paying for a sim only deal
The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o
A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)0 -
but now I am thinking just put up with slow speeds😴
The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o
A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)0 -
Only worth considering if you have a decent mobile signal for, in the case of iD, the Three (possibly VodafoneThree) network. Remember, that's a decent signal indoors where you use the device.
Have you got decent internet when you hardwire into the router? There may be ways of improving the Wi-Fi signal (better placement, repeaters, mesh).
0 -
Do you have a link to that deal?
I have said before to the OP unlimited plans sometimes have FUP so it's worth checking and also some limit allowance through tether and mifi.
You say rubbish internet but will you be watching at home or on the move as at home I would stick to internet provider.
1 -
When I tried to hardwire into the router there was not much difference - very rural area, no fibre etc - poor signal in house not much can be done I don't think
The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o
A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)0 -
yes it is for at home - unfortunately if I try to watch iplayer or itvx it is almost impossible as tv just buffers every few seconds - someone recommended a mifi and gave me a device FOC but the more I look into it the more it puts me off!
The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o
A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
