We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Home improvements translating into value?

12346

Comments

  • unfocus
    unfocus Posts: 30 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Are you guys tag-teaming? I'm sorry if you think it was rude but the fact I used the exact same response perhaps highlights the issue that they were each answering the same question I hadn't asked with roughly the same irrelevant answers. Would it have been less rude if I'd changed a few words round while retaining the same meaning? I disagree that it was valid advice - I specifically asked about whether adaptations would add value to a house and their replies were basically telling me I shouldn't be asking that. :-)

  • sherlock228
    sherlock228 Posts: 181 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 8 September at 10:52PM

    you are mixing up offering "more" and offering "less"
    If a building needs maintenance then people offer less.
    If a building does not need maintenance then people do not offer more, they rather take as read the price reflects the fact it is "well" maintained and may thus offer the asking price (or not more likely)

  • _Penny_Dreadful
    _Penny_Dreadful Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 September at 9:59AM

    I do know the Greater Glasgow area so based on your description I'm taking a punt on Bearsden.

    A lot of what you're describing won't add value to the property. I see you acknowledge that if you spend £10,000 on a new kitchen that might only result in an extra £5,000 on the home report, but it won't. To echo what many have already said on this thread, to add value you need to increase the floor space, anything else is based on the local market and being in the catchment area for a good school will do a lot of the heavy lifting for you. That's not unique to Greater Glasgow, it's the same the UK over.

    The only item you list that will potentially add value is a loft conversion, and by that I mean a proper loft conversion with a building warrant, a minimum height of 2.4m at the apex, floor reinforcement, a staircase that meets the minimum structural and clearance requirements, fire door separation, etc. When you see properties for sale where the attic room isn't counted is a room is because it lacks building warrants. To do it you'd lose bedroom 3 as a bedroom though because that's probably where the staircase would need to go.

    You mention that it's a corner plot so I think what would actually add value would be to use some of the garden to build an extension.

  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 13,118 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    And perhaps best to use a different tone on said community page unless they want to instantly annoy the community!

  • unfocus
    unfocus Posts: 30 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    I take your point about the difference between more and less! :-D

    In Scotland, certainly in this area, no houses go for the asking price or below (unless it's fixed price). The asking price tends to be a marketing tool that draws people in, for the 'mortgage valuation' to be revealed in the home report later, then offers over that tend to be considered. Even houses needing work done are going for 10-15% over home report value in the area. So, I'm going to consider that as a yes - doing the render will affect the value in the way that I was thinking.

  • unfocus
    unfocus Posts: 30 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks for that thoughtful feedback. I wasn't specifically thinking of kitchen when I talked about the theoretical 10k spend with +5k value - it was just a hypothetical figure to help people understand that I didn't mean I thought spending would translate into equivalent or higher increase in value.

  • unfocus
    unfocus Posts: 30 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    What in my original post did you find annoying tone-wise?

  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 13,118 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    The first paragraph considering this is a public forum and you have no control over who responds to your questions.

  • Tabieth
    Tabieth Posts: 570 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    Overnight I’ve become an expert in the exact criteria you mention. What luck! In my expert opinion, I think you’ll add real value if you paint the house neon green and remove the roof.

    You’re very welcome.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.