We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Home improvements translating into value?

12467

Comments

  • unfocus
    unfocus Posts: 30 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Interesting - so there's not a chance people would offer more on a property that's freshly rendered than one where it's crumbling and dirty? Rendering needing done was certainly a consideration of ours when deciding how much to offer.

  • Jude57
    Jude57 Posts: 873 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Watching the property show with Kirstie and Phil last night, she summed it up perfectly in my opinion. She said something like "if you spend £100,000 you're not going to be adding £100,000 to the value and spending more than the top sale price of similar properties in the area is unlikely to get that money back". It seems obvious but I'm surprised at how much friends have spent doing up their homes and are then shocked that their £60,000 kitchen hasn't increased their house's value by anywhere near £60,000.

  • unfocus
    unfocus Posts: 30 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    I'm not bad tempered! I'm just responding to what I get. Perhaps you're the one trying to guess what's in my head rather than taking what's said at face value.Text is rarely an accurate representation of tone.

    It's as much info as I'm willing to put across and for people who know the greater Glasgow area, they'll know that a town with good schools and quick links into the city centre isn't overly common among those bordering the city.

  • unfocus
    unfocus Posts: 30 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Yeah, I don't necessarily expect to make back as much as I spend. It's why I asked about adding value to the property, rather than making a profit. It's an important distinction and I perhaps should have made it clearer. For example, if I spend 10k on improvements and the value is increased by 5k I'd see that as having spent 5k on something that's made it a nicer home for me for the time I'm there. Hope that makes sense.

  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 13,118 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    I'm guessing that the answers you are getting are not what you wanted to hear given your ill mannered responses?

  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 13,118 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    A freshly rendered property may have more kerb appeal but it is unlikely to add any value. At best it may make it sell more quickly.

    Render is a maintenance job not an improvement.

  • unfocus
    unfocus Posts: 30 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    I wanted to hear from people who actually know and can comment on property values in the area, not people telling me it's my home and I should do what I want (because I already know that). I think I've been perfectly polite though, despite a couple of people obviously trolling!

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,634 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Just read the whole thread and did not see any sign of trolling. It is actually quite rare on this forum.

    You are asking for free advice from strangers- so you can not really complain if not all the answers fit your exact criteria of how the answers should be.

    If you were paying a professional for advice it would be different, as you would be a client.

  • artyboy
    artyboy Posts: 2,301 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Next stop: Locksville

  • unfocus
    unfocus Posts: 30 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    I tell enough about the area that people who understand the property market in the area will know (I bet an estate agent based in Glasgow could tell you the town I'm referring to, even). I gave a floor plan as extra info - the info in my text should be enough but the layout of floorplan might help visualise. It's what the estate agent has provided and I haven't any other floorplan.

    'I really don't understand…' - people who don't understand based on my info can simply move on, or ask for more info if they're really interested.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.