We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Home improvements translating into value?

24567

Comments

  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 8 September at 12:09PM

    Could you provide some context? It's not clear if you're buying this house as your main residence or as some form of property flip.

    If it's to flip, I'd be careful about making subjective changes. I think your post actually provides a perfect example of the issue:

    unfocus

    Bathroom(s) - it's fairly fresh looking though not my taste. If we get around to it, is it worth installing a bath (space would be tight) rather than just shower for value?

    This is exactly the predicament, you have a new bathroom but it's not to your taste hence you might not necessarily place value on it. You subjectively might consider the inclusion of a bath as preferrable over a more spacious bathroom, many would place no value in a bath (or negatively affect it, as they may not use a bath and the bathroom is now cramped).

    If you plan to live in the house, then do what is right for you. If the intention is to sell the house, I would avoid making too many subjective decisions.

    I will say there have been a few properties on the market that have gone up after having been renovated to an exceptionally high standard… and I've watched them make significant price reductions over the past few months. Looking at the previous purchase price, it's almost certain the renovators are now looking at a loss. I think unless you plan to do the work yourself or are in the building trade and have access to very cheap tradesman, it is extremely difficult to make money on renovations.

    Plus there's no guarantee that they will add value. My mother for example looks at most modern interiors and dismisses them as 'soulless' or 'lacking character', a new modern kitchen would have very little impact on her offer.

    Woodstok2000

    Most important of all, know your market, and as above, there's a ceiling for properties. As an extreme example, my uncle has a £500k bungalow in a residential area with mostly retired neighbours. The next door neighbour passed away, son spent a huge amount of money on an extension, loft conversion, decking with a hot tub, all mod cons. He's done a beautiful job and its a stunning house but no-one looking to buy in that area cares about what he has spent the money on. It has been on the market for 18 months, 4 price reductions and he's going to make a loss on his investment.

    I've seen this a lot in my area too.

    I agree that there's ceilings for properties. I have observed two properties listed for about £100k more than similar properties, by virtue of having brand new kitchens, bathrooms, fancy flooring, resin driveways, the fancy lights that hang low from the ceiling, etc. Admittedly the interiors are gorgeous, but the house is still the same. Someone with the extra money could well decide that they'd rather forfeit the fancy interior for a bigger house with more bedrooms/bathrooms/bigger garden/in better location/etc. Predictably they've been dropping £25k every few months.

    Know what you don't
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    To be honest, I don't think any of those 'improvements' (except the downstairs WC) would necessarily add any value to the existing valuation and in fact some may even devalue the property for some people.

    For example, not everyone likes the idea of an open plan kitchen/living room so for some that makes the property less desirable. In my current home I spent £40,000 on a brand new kitchen but I know it's made no difference to the value of the house as there was nothing wrong with the old kitchen, it was just dated.

    Similarly some people hate the thought of gardening so increasing the amount of garden and reducing the amount of parking would make the property be worth less to them.

    Generally, adding real functionality such as an extra bedroom or bathroom are the few things that will make a difference - many people would pay more for the convenience of the downstairs WC you mentioned.

    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • unfocus
    unfocus Posts: 30 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks for your reply but my post was specifically asking about adding value. I'm already aware it's my house and I can do what I want. I don't need advice on what I want.

  • unfocus
    unfocus Posts: 30 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks for your reply but my post was specifically asking about adding value. I'm already aware it's my house and I can do what I want. I don't need advice on what I want.

  • unfocus
    unfocus Posts: 30 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks for your reply but my post was specifically asking about adding value. I'm already aware it's my house and I can do what I want. I don't need advice on what I want.

  • unfocus
    unfocus Posts: 30 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    There isn't any planning permission/warrants associated with the parking space. The just fenced off a huge bit of garden and covered it in chuckies.

  • sherlock228
    sherlock228 Posts: 181 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 8 September at 12:47PM

    rendering - will not add value, that is simply expected maintenance to a property. But if left to get worse will reduce the value of the property as the maintenance cost will then be a reduction to the sale price

    garden - is there pressure on parking in the area? If there is plenty of on street parking then loss of own off road parking may not be too much of an issue, but it also depends on how much remaining garden there is and what can be done with it. A family house will want a garden the kids can be safely left to run riot in without smashing the cars. A residual small patch of grass may not be good enough for that. A family house with a "posh" garden may not appeal to those with riotous kids. Value neutral (or unlikely to recover works costs)

    open plan living - current fashion, may not be in the future. Certainly trendy to have the kids visible from the kitchen when preparing meals and also when entertaining adults.
    How well insulated is the property given this is Glasgow and heating costs are increasing. Unlikely to add value but might make your house compare better to its competitors.

    new kitchen - almost certain you will not even recover the cost of the upgrade. Forget about adding value. Kitchens are notorious for being personal taste issues for buyers. You might have the most high end one in existence but the next person may dislike the shape of the handles and decide the whole thing needs to be replaced and the offer lowered to reflect that .

    bathroom - you have already admitted it is a matter of personal taste. That said a 3 bed marketed to a family will be less appealing without a bath as many parents are still traditional enough to give kids bath times, not shower times.

    attic - unless you get building control sign off for a compliant loft conversion it will always be an attic with boarding for storage. It will never be legally classed as bedroom, especially if it lacks a permanent staircase to access it along with relevant fire regulation precautions. Loss of floorspace to create the staircase often counter productive to adding value, you lose a bedroom to gain a larger bedroom but with sloping walls and the house loses storage space..

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,226 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Its likely to add value but certainly not guaranteed to add more value than it costs to do. In most places you will probably get the best result with a simple conversion with velux windows. Domers may be nicer to live with but they typically dont add that much more to the value but doing the work is notably more expensive.

    Without local market knowledge its very hard to say whats going to add value and what wont wash its face. Certainly most of the things mentions are likely to have a negative RoI unless you have a route to much below market rates for work to be done. Most underestimate the cost of work hence generally better to leave the buyer to make changes if you are paying market rate.

  • unfocus
    unfocus Posts: 30 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    I'm buying as my main residence but not necessarily my 'forever home.' It's more suburban than we're used to and are trying it out to see how it fits. It would just be nice to know if we were able to add value through improvements. I'm just thinking of examples we've viewed and what they went for. A house in another, less desirable, town near Glasgow we offered on went for over 25% over the home report value and, as far as we can tell, it's because of the very high spec renovation throughout (which is also what got us to offer more than we had previously said we would).

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.