We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Transferring information from an iPhone 4 to iPad 14

kah22
kah22 Posts: 1,896 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!

I’m looking for some advice from anyone who has experience of transferring information from a very old iPhone.

I have an iPhone 4, and I’m moving to an iPhone 14 Pro. My main concern is, if possible, making sure that I don’t lose any of the information that is still on the iPhone 4.

While most of what is on my other phone there are some personal item one the iPhone 4, that I would hope to hold on to.

I realise the iPhone 4 is now very old, left unloved over the years, but I’m wondering what is actually possible and, more importantly, what is the safest way to go about it all I have is my ipad

Has anyone successfully transferred information from an iPhone 4 to a much newer iPhone?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Comments

  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 3,233 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 6 September at 8:46PM

    What iOS is the older phone using?

    https://support.apple.com/en-us/102659

    Has the phone been backed to iCloud?

    Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid


  • I doubt an iPhone 4 will be able to backup to the cloud.

  • Good point, it would need to be backed up to a local computer via iTunes.

    Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid


  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 19,114 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper

    I wouldn't start doing anything to the iPhone 4 until you're absolutely sure the things you want to keep are safely copied somewhere.

    It is too old to use the normal direct iPhone-to-iPhone Quick Start method, but if the iPhone 4 will still connect to WiFi and iCloud, I'd first see whether you can make a fresh iCloud backup of it.

    You can then set up the iPhone 14 Pro and choose to restore from that iCloud backup. Apple does support restoring an older backup to a newer iPhone, although obviously some very old apps themselves may no longer work on the new phone. So start by checking if you can do this, then saving everything and then moving it.

    Also as you only have an iPad and not a computer, I'd separately save anything particularly precious such as photos, notes or documents to iCloud or the iPad if you can, rather than relying entirely on one backup.

    Most importantly, don't erase, reset, trade in or otherwise fiddle with the iPhone 4 afterwards until you've checked that everything important has made it across

    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.