We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
RBS - confidential policy
Comments
-
You may be confusing correlation with causation - plenty of credit card transactions are declined!
Having said that, there are other benefits from paying by credit card, such as cashflow, section 75 protection, etc…
0 -
If you buy a potato peeler or a cutlery set from Amazon now, you have to pay by credit card. Given that our proactive governments are on the ball when it comes to crime, and dangerous items need tight regulation, retailers are mandated to do an ID check at the point of purchase in additional to the one at the point of delivery. And as I was informed last week, this cannot be done via debit card, only credit card.
On the upside, I can breathe easy that no potato peeler can fall into the hands of urban gang bangers or terrorists. It may be inconvenient, yes, but I perhaps I have saved a life. That's how I look at it.
1 -
M&S points. 😂
0 -
A history of large dental payments is clearly extraordinary, whereas a one-off large payment is normal.You clearly haven't met my mother's teeth!!! 😱😂
1 -
I know you understand as a forum member long enough and experienced enough to know odd things happen with banks and payment processors from time to time. Just as well you had plan B lined up instead!
0 -
I tried to pay an undertaker for a funeral using my Barclaycard. First time the payment failed because the terminal wanted my house number, and the address the card is registered at doesn't have a number. The undertaker contacted their service provider who gave them a special code to enter instead.
On the second attempt at paying (a few days later) the card was declined three times. I asked Barclaycard why - first they said it was outside my normal spending pattern ☹️ and the card could have been used by a fraudster. I asked whether they really thought a fraudster would use someone else's card to pay for a funeral. They then decided it was because the merchant looked suspicious. The undertaker's merchant service provider was… Barclaycard, and had been several years.
Sometimes the systems just don't work as well as they should. (putting it politely)
4 -
The thought of paying for a funeral being part of a "normal spending pattern" is definitely a bit surreal.
I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.1 -
I've found that the same account/card paid via GPay can work even when the card itself is declined so worth trying that in future as well.
Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.1 -
And vice versa too. I had my GPay card declined at a dentist. I used the actual card with my PIN and it worked fine.
0 -
Thankfully, I’ve never had a card declined, hence my comment about using a cc for larger fees or payments. But have had problems with Barclays in the past over payments into a current account. Terrible bank and wouldn’t go there again.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


