We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Which bank do you use for your main account?
Comments
-
NatWest (incl. Royal Bank of Scotland, Coutts & Ulster Bank)
I'd be quite happy with that. Phone or chat - makes no difference, just knowing there is someone there. One LHV customer found his debit card didn't work when he was abroad, so he used the only means of contact, email. He got a reply a month later. I fell for a potential scam when I banked with Triodos. It happened at the weekend when Triodos only do limited email support. It was a worrying couple of days before I could contact customer services on the Monday. Sometimes we need to think ahead about what could go wrong and how we would deal with it.
0 -
I do virtually all of my banking online, but I value old fashioned service if I need it. Santander Select gives me 24/7 telephone banking. Nationwide gives only Monday to Saturday and bank holidays 8am to 8pm, Sundays, 9am to 5pm. The Skipton is worse still, Monday to Thursday from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM, and Saturday from 9:00 AM to Noon. All three have local branches, as do most other high street banks and two other Building Societies.
1 -
Santander (including TSB)
I am well over 60, wasn't aware Natwest are offering specials for people like myself. They never told me, even though I have several active accounts with them.
Mind you, I wouldn't use such a service as I think we had enough years in our lives to work out how to use our finances.Why don't they offer quick and efficient telephone support to people who are juggling a working household and two screaming toddlers?1 -
HSBC UK (including First Direct)
Decent customer service, good facilities, free worldwide travel insurance and the best capital ratio too.
0 -
NatWest (incl. Royal Bank of Scotland, Coutts & Ulster Bank)
My comments about customer service with other banks besides NatWest stand firm, but in my experience Santander run a close second for being helpful. I did a bank switch into Santander a few years back and this required a visit to the local branch for some sort of confirmation I think it was. It would have resulted in my going back home and entering details on line to confirm the switch. The manager was nearby and overheard when I was explaining the process to a counter assistant. He intervened and did everything I needed - opening the account there and then. Very satisfying to find a helpful person!
0 -
Santander (including TSB)
HSBC might have good customer service for current accounts (which I understand this poll is about) but they are shockingly bad when it comes to ISAs, easily the very worst of any ISA provider.
I do have an HSBC Advance current account as I need it in order to get access to their Regular Saver and their ISA. This current account doesn’t come with any travel insurance - what is their current account that does?
Also, what is capital ratio in the context of current accounts?0 -
NatWest (incl. Royal Bank of Scotland, Coutts & Ulster Bank)
As Basil Fawlty said - “A satisfied customer…should have him stuffed!” 😂
0 -
My salary goes into Halifax. My bills DDs come out of Santander. My credit card DDs come out of Lloyds & Zopa
0 -
Most people do, do this.
But those same most people keep savings paying next to no interest & generally arent clued up on finances
0 -
Lloyds (including Halifax and Bank of Scotland)
Lloyds as where most of my DD are based. Kroo has my income. I use Lloyds are it's the one with the largest overdraft.
Let's Be Careful Out There0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


