We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Which bank do you use for your main account?

245

Comments

  • Barkin
    Barkin Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Meanwhile, in the real world most people have an account which they use for their income and for their automated payments. They might have one or two other accounts for one reason or another.

    In my 'real world' of people I'm well enough acquainted with to know such things, people have a single account that they use for everything.

    People posting here are the weirdos 🤣

  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 7 August at 12:34AM
    Lloyds (including Halifax and Bank of Scotland)

    I get paid into one account, all my monthly bills come from a second account, at a different bank, and I use a third account for my day to day spending.

    Which one would you class as my main account?

  • ChirpyChicken
    ChirpyChicken Posts: 3,616 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Other

    Coventry Building Society since about 1997 when I started at coventry and use cash back card for day to day spending..

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 767 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    I also have separate bank accounts for income and payments

    my salary comes into an account with one bank (HSBC) and a standing order is set up to pay an amount over to a completely different bank (Lloyds) from which my direct debits such as council tax come out

  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    That definition does not work if you have more than one salary/pension and have them paid into different accounts. I have my state pension paid into the Skipton, because it is paid on a different day each month and the Skipton gives me email alerts when it arrives, whereas Santander does not. It also earns interest in the Skipton from day 1, and provides me with an emergency income stream if Santander goes belly up.

  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I also use a current account with a separate bank for day to day spending. It is very lean pickings if the card for that account gets stolen.

  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 11,769 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I don't have a salary or pension. My DD's are spread around different accounts to qualify for perks or for future switching purposes.

    MSE is probably not the best place to ask the OP's question, if there is a genuine interest in popularity of the different banks. The responses are unlikely to represent the population as a whole.

  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 19,444 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Lloyds (including Halifax and Bank of Scotland)

    You're absolutely right. I would guess people with multiple accounts are a very small fraction of the population from conversations with friends and colleagues

    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 7 August at 12:37PM
    Monzo

    I would think that is probably the case. Most people I've spoken seem to regard opening or switching a current account as a huge change rather than a trivial day to day task like I do.

  • oldagetraveller1
    oldagetraveller1 Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Lloyds (including Halifax and Bank of Scotland)

    "How often did you use the branch?"

    Not that often, but it was always busy when I did.

    I had an occasion, 18 months ago, when using the/a branch was necessary. I had an Executor Account which Lloyds converted to a Classic account for which I then needed online banking access (yes, a bit of a contradiction!).

    That could only be done in branch (excellent personal service at the time rather than communicating with some useless AI bot). If that scenario had occurred now it would mean a 30 miles round trip to the now nearest branch.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.