We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Which bank do you use for your main account?

135

Comments

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Yes, the point about MSE forums not being representative was why I posted the national market share data, but it's unclear what the purpose of the poll really is, in terms of simply seeking (what'll only ever be a tiny subset of) volumetric data, although inevitably people start to share opinions about why they've made the choices they have…

  • Middle_of_the_Road
    Middle_of_the_Road Posts: 1,491 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    NatWest (incl. Royal Bank of Scotland, Coutts & Ulster Bank)

    Quite, seeking to find out which bank is most popular with posters on MSE. After all, we do know best when it comes down to financial matters 😁

  • UKX69
    UKX69 Posts: 346 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    NatWest (incl. Royal Bank of Scotland, Coutts & Ulster Bank)

    My sentiments exactly. I’ve had a joint account with my wife at NatWest since we were married. It’s our main account that receives our total income and pays bills. I also have a sole account with NW that serves as a central payment hub for any “projects” I have going. In my time I’ve had bank accounts with perhaps every major bank for my sole account, but I still think NW the best for customer service. The only downside now is that I will have take a 20 minute bus ride to the next town to access a branch.

  • confederated
    confederated Posts: 159 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 7 August at 4:46PM
    NatWest (incl. Royal Bank of Scotland, Coutts & Ulster Bank)

    I know it's not popular on here, but RBS/NatWest have an over-60's telephone line which is answered very quickly by someone who can actually help. Its a UK call centre too. I've been with pretty much every bank going, but find RBS the best for my needs. Some banks have almost no customer service. LHV, for example, doesn't even have a phone number, and Triodos only operates its CS during weekday working hours. Shocking what people will tolerate.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Shocking what people will tolerate

    But that goes back to the earlier point about how people want different things from their banks, and many will rarely, if ever, feel the need to have a conversation with one of their banks, so 'different strokes for different folks' shouldn't be shocking as such…

  • mta999
    mta999 Posts: 767 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    II suppose one way of thinking about which is my 'main' account is an emotional thing - by doing a thought exercise of 'should in the future I would only be allowed to keep one account (either by legislation or cost or whatever) which bank account would I keep'?

  • confederated
    confederated Posts: 159 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    NatWest (incl. Royal Bank of Scotland, Coutts & Ulster Bank)

    The problem is that most of us don't foresee a need to speak with our bank. We haven't needed to for years, then along comes that worrying transaction we know we haven't made, or a scam we have stupidly fallen for, and there is no-one to talk to. Maybe I'm getting old, but there is comfort in knowing that should I ever need to talk to my bank, I can.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I'm not criticising you for feeling that way, just observing that others can and do have different views!

  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 16,384 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Starling

    We have one main current account for income and direct debits etc and from there we do transfers to personal accounts. I also have two personal savings account and a spare current account with another provider just in case the banking system for Starling goes down. We do not have any banks in our town now but we do have a banking hub which offers a limited service.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Save £12k in 2026 Challenge £12000/£10,000
    365 day 1p Challenge 2026 £667.95/£600.31
    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Monzo

    I depends what other options there are. I had a fraudulent debit card transaction on my Monzo account, I reported it in the app and it was refunded about an hour later, that's much easier than having to phone someone.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.