We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Spanish bank account for paying bills

Hi all, have looked at other threads, but they all appear to be from some time ago.

Please note, question is for paying bills / utilities and not for holiday spending.

So I have an NIE number, is it easier to open an account here online for a Spanish account, or in a branch when I am away?

I've looked at other posts, and Santander appear to be one who people say 'avoid'.

So if you have an account, who did you open with, was it online at home or did you go into a branch… also how much does it cost you, as I understand most charge you for banking?

Many thanks.

MFW - 01.10.21 £63761   01.10.22 £50962   01.10.23 £39979   01.10.24 £27815. 01.01.25. £17538
01.03.25 £14794.    01.04.25 £12888
01.05.25. £11805. 12.05.25  £9997   05.06.25  £8898. 
 01.07.25. £7975  01.08.25 £6968 01.09.25 £5956. 01.10.25 £4979
01.12.25 £2899 21.01.26 £0

Comments

  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 2,105 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.  All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    We use Bankinter for our banking in Spain, have done for almost 20 years. We are not residents, we just have a holiday home. I'd think it's best to open the account when you next visit Spain. Generally there's no free banking, we pay for the account, for being non res and for bank cards but they handle all the day to day payments. I would think any of the large main banks in Spain will offer the same service.

  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,829 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 5 August at 8:58PM

    Just use Wise.com for all your Spanish utility bills.

    Very very easy to open an account with them.

    I have been using them successfully for many years.

    Simple to use very good exchange rates & very very fast payments & transfers.

    Move money into your Wise euro account when the exchange rate is in your favour.

    Use their debit card for shopping etc etc.

    These days you don't really need a mainstream Spanish bank account.

  • jennystarpepper
    jennystarpepper Posts: 843 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks for your helpful comments, Wise it is then. One last question if you don't mind, tried looking it up, but don't appear to get much of an answer.

    @greyteam1959 or @subjecttocontract, or if anyone else knows? Did you use a 3rd party to pay the tax for having a holiday home?

    The property will not be rented out, but I do need to pay tax. Does anyone do it online themselves, Modelo 210, I've seen a website called Iberiantax, which let's you complete it online yourself. The estate agent 'suggested' someone to me for 135.00 Euros, and I'm aiming to be as MSE as I can.

    Many thanks

    MFW - 01.10.21 £63761   01.10.22 £50962   01.10.23 £39979   01.10.24 £27815. 01.01.25. £17538
    01.03.25 £14794.    01.04.25 £12888
    01.05.25. £11805. 12.05.25  £9997   05.06.25  £8898. 
     01.07.25. £7975  01.08.25 £6968 01.09.25 £5956. 01.10.25 £4979
    01.12.25 £2899 21.01.26 £0

  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,829 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Non resident & holiday home owner.

    I use a third party ( my Spanish solicitor) to work out & pay any tax due on my behalf.

    It costs me about 75 euro a year to do this for me.

    That fee would also include dealing with any other problems such as car tax or utility problems.

    I find that good value as I want to make sure everything is done properly & on time.

    Lots of people do their own tax returns I believe.

  • jennystarpepper
    jennystarpepper Posts: 843 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    MFW - 01.10.21 £63761   01.10.22 £50962   01.10.23 £39979   01.10.24 £27815. 01.01.25. £17538
    01.03.25 £14794.    01.04.25 £12888
    01.05.25. £11805. 12.05.25  £9997   05.06.25  £8898. 
     01.07.25. £7975  01.08.25 £6968 01.09.25 £5956. 01.10.25 £4979
    01.12.25 £2899 21.01.26 £0

  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Another one who closed my Spanish bank account and uses Wise.

  • c1995
    c1995 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    Starling offers a euro account

  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 4,335 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    true, and it can be useful, and it comes with FSCS protection, which Wise doesn’t have. Though it has a GBxx IBAN, which can cause issues with some transactions in the EU. Wise IBAN is BExx (Belgium), so a bonafide EU IBAN.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.