We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Salesperson prevented me from seeing Car Logbook
I recently purchased a 3 year old Yaris Cross from a Toyota Main dealer, during the sales admin I asked to see the cars logbook as i was interesting in seeing the formers owner details on the DVLA log book
The dealer was emphatic that under GNPR privacy conditions this was no longer possible . Was this a zealous application of the rules.? If one buys a house you obviously know the sellers details, as with a private car sales.
Comments
-
I believe the dealer was correct. I've not seen previous records for my recent purchases for that reason.
1 -
I think he was right. That would be an unauthorised disclosure, which could have serious repercussions..
That is exactly why the DVLA won't show those details on the V5C you eventually receive..
1 -
They are correct - that cannot show you the previous keeper's details under GDPR.
2 -
It definitely would have been a GDPR breach. Why do you want to see the previous keepers details?
2 -
Similar when we bought our last Toyota. Helpfully all the previous keepers details were left in the handbook folder, along with a receipt for the last service!
1 -
They could have showed you the V5 with the keeper's name and address covered up.
You could have done a Car Vertical (or similar) check to find out the number of keepers. I think there's even free ones that will give you that info.
1 -
That's interesting. I haven't bought a used car for some time. While can understand the GDPR issues raised, what happens when a car is advertised as having 'full service history'. Do you have to take it on trust or do they redact all the personal information from the receipts. 🤔
0 -
Many dealers bin the receipts for this reason. If there is a paper service record I would expect that to be available.
2 -
Service history is mostly on line these days.
1 -
I recently purchased a 3 year old Yaris Cross from a Toyota Main dealer, during the sales admin I asked to see the cars logbook as i was interesting in seeing the formers owner details on the DVLA log book
The dealer was emphatic that under GNPR privacy conditions this was no longer possible . Was this a zealous application of the rules.? If one buys a house you obviously know the sellers details, as with a private car sales.
What, specifically, did you wish to see from the log book (V5)?
Was it that the car was owned by Jane Doe of 42 Doe Street, Doe Town, Doeshire?
Was it that the car was owned by Local Limited Co?
Was it that the car was owned by "L of a time driving school"?
Was it that the car was owned by "We take U taxis"?
Was it that the car was owned by "Smash it and crash it car hire"?
You can get that information from the Dealer without seeing the log book and by asking specific questions. If, for example, you directly ask "has this one owner car been used by a driving school", the Dealer has to answer truthfully and that means "Yes", "No", or "I don't know". The last of those can't be used as a general opt out, but it would have to be the case that the Dealer genuinely does not know. If he knows that the V5 records the RK as a driving school, the Dealer cannot use the "I don't know" line.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
