We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Youfibre. Too good to be true?

13»

Comments

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,646 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I strongly suspect that your neighbour has YouFibre.

    Sky do use both OR and CityFibre but where CityFibre IS available, they will only use them, the customer has no option to choose.

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Went with Sky in the end.

    BT offered a £32/mo 500mb deal inc Netflix.

    I asked if that's the price every month. They said yes.

    I asked if it went up in price at all. They said March. I asked if this is the only increase in the year. They said yes. I have the go ahead.

    When they gave the 100mph legal bumf, I caught mention of a rise in price in 6 months. I told them to stop & repeat and then clarify.

    Turned out in 6 month I'd be paying over £50, which they didn't tell me when I specifically asked questions that should've had them telling me.

    There & then I told them to forget it as that's not what they'd offered.

    Earlier in the conversation I asked if their Netflix offering was the same as my £12.99 package. They said yes.

    Looking at what others offer, I suspect this was also a lie & it is likely Netflix with ads that they were offering.

    Regardless, they tried to con me on the 6 month price hike.

    Went to Sky on a 900mb deal which works out at just shy of £19/month.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 7 August at 2:12PM

    Your Sky price will also increase , the difference is BT quote the increase in advance, so if they said £32 , it goes up £4 in March 2027 and another £4 in March 2028 , this isn’t kept secret it’s highlighted on the website etc…this type of advanced notice of the price increases is mandated, that’s why everyone who increases prices annually has to do this , the exception is Sky , they still put prices up in April every year , but they don’t say how much it will be when you sign up , but it’s usually in the £3 to £4 range for broadband and £1 to £3 for TV , the reason they don’t do the same as everyone else and apparently ignore the rules is because when they announce the yearly increase in January or February, they say if you want to leave using the price increase as the reason , provided you advise them quickly and move to another provider you can without penalty before the increase is applied in April .

    Perhaps you can link to Sky showing 900Mb for £19 , the website price for that is £29 not £19 .

  • dnpark38
    dnpark38 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    @BobbyEwing

    "Went to Sky on a 900mb deal which works out at just shy of £19/month."

    Well that's a good deal!

    My Sky is £25 month and 150 mbps.

    By the way your in for a shock come next March when they tell you price is increasing 1st April. But they do offer you leaving at no exit charges if you give notice.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.