We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Youfibre. Too good to be true?

I'm currently on a 300mb deal with BT and as of yesterday I can leave at no cost. I'm now paying I think it's £42/month. Not sure what that'll go to in a months time when I'm properly out of contract.

Just having a look on uswitch.com at what's available & the first one that came up was this Youfibre deal. 1000mb down & up. £25/month with no increase for the whole 24 months.

It's overkill for what I need. 300mb does me just fine but I also wouldn't grumble if 1000mb was being thrown at me.

I know when I jumped from 60mb or whatever it was to 300mb I needed someone to come to the house & install new hardware.

So the important question here will be - do I need MORE new hardware installing once I get beyond a certain speed or can I just move to anyone now without requiring someone to come to the house (OH & I work same hours so the need for someone at home would require annual leave booking which I don't want to do).

While I'm now in the position to be switching, are there any 'known' providers who I should avoid, be it for their service or their router?

Speaking of router, whos will/wont fit through a letterbox?

I have been quite happy with BT speeds & their Smart Hub 2 router coverage. I'd stay with them if it wasn't for their ridiculous pricing.

Also I don't know how many ethernet ports other providers have on their router but I max out all on the BT Smart Hub 2.

🤐🤐🤐

«13

Comments

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,908 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    do I need MORE new hardware installing once I get beyond a certain speed

    It's not speed related, but it does depend on which network the ISP uses.

    BT will be running over Openreach fibre. The engineer who installed your current system will have been from (or representing) Openreach.

    Youfibre is an altnet and they use their own fibre network, not Openreach's. They will want to send their own engineer to install their own ONT and router on your premises. That's another fibre, another hole in the wall, another two boxes plugged into a socket somewhere.

    While I'm now in the position to be switching, are there any 'known' providers who I should avoid, be it for their service or their router?

    If you don't want to move off the Openreach fibre network and switch to an altnet, you'll need to restrict yourself to ISPs who use Openreach.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 4,236 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 2 August at 4:42PM

    As stated , Youfibre run on Netomnia network not Openreach , so you would get a new install fitted along with your Openreach installation, so if fed from a telegraph pole , another wire (optical cable) from it to your house , another CSP ( block on the outside wall ) and another cable to another ONT into which you would plug the Youfibre router , all the Openreach kit isn’t touched by Netomnia it remains in place in case you ever returned to an OR based provider.

    Generally you won’t need to buy yours new devices unless you go over 1Gb speed , even then it’s only wired devices like desktop PC’s that may need better LAN adapters if you went for higher than 1Gb speed .

    As you say more speed may be nice to have but you probably won’t notice any real world difference day to day between 300Mb or 1Gb , unless you download large files

    FWIW , BT is £31 for 500Mb , still more than your Youfibre offer , but £42 is more than you need to pay , you can negotiate a better price with BT once out of ‘contract’ , and other ISPs are available Sky for example (on Openreach) are £27 for 500Mb , although neither fix the price for 24 months

  • dnpark38
    dnpark38 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    I'm on Open Reach which is the network Sky use for my service.

    My neighbour got his Sky transferred to an ALT network which I think is YouFibre. On the day the Alt. wired up our street the engineers offered to transfer him and he accepted because of cheaper price.

    I would be interested to see what @BobbyEwing gets in anwsers to find out how YouFibre works for myself.

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad I asked now because that's a huge deal breaker. I don't need more holes drilled in to the wall.

    1. I simply don't need more holes drilling. I don't need alternative broadband THAT badly.
    2. We have the walls tanked & it'll break the tanking. For those who say it wont, well my wall & the hole through it says differently to you. And at any rate, whether we agree on point #2 or not, I refer back to point #1.

    So looks like I'm going to need to look at Openreach providers then.

    broadband.JPG

    Am I correct in assuming any of those listed above, I don't need anyone to come to the house? I just simply sign up on their site or a comparison site & everything is then taken care of?

    🤐🤐🤐

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,487 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 2 August at 5:35PM

    Not all providers operate in every geographical area.

    Stick your postcode into a comparison site for a list of available providers at your address.

    No guarantee, but the cheaper the provider, the less likely they'll want to visit.

    EDIT : I was in your position at the start of the year, signed with another broadband supplier who informed BT of the change, BT countered with £24/mth for 500Mbps. Still with BT.

  • dnpark38
    dnpark38 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    WOW! I just did the AI search on my Browser.

    "


    Search Assist

    YouFibre is a broadband provider that operates on the Netomnia FTTP network. It is part of the Netomnia group, which also includes other brands, but YouFibre is the primary retail arm offering services directly to customers.

    everyfibre.co.uk.ico

    Broadband Providers Using the YouFibre Network

    YouFibre operates on the Netomnia FTTP network and is the primary retail brand within the Netomnia group. While YouFibre itself is a broadband provider, it is important to note that it may not be the only provider utilizing the Netomnia infrastructure. Below are some key details regarding YouFibre and its network.

    YouFibre Overview

    • Type: Broadband Provider
    • Network: Netomnia FTTP
    • Service Offering: Full fibre broadband directly to customers

    Other Providers on the Netomnia Network

    While specific providers using the YouFibre network are not explicitly listed, the following points are relevant:

    • Netomnia Group: YouFibre is part of the Netomnia group, which may include other brands that utilize the same network infrastructure.
    • Availability Check: To find out which broadband providers are available in your area, you can use an availability checker provided by Netomnia or other broadband comparison websites.

    Conclusion

    YouFibre is the main broadband provider on the Netomnia network, but for a comprehensive list of all providers using this network, checking availability tools or contacting Netomnia directly would be beneficial. "

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,487 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    WOW! Not overly useful since

    a) OP doesn't want to use an FTTP supplier other than Openreach

    b) adds nothing new to the information already on the thread

    c) has a big green fuzzy blob

  • dnpark38
    dnpark38 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    PS to my first reply.

    It was Netomnia that did my Neighbours Alt network, it is not tidy like my OR installation and means he has two wires to his house from the OR pole.

    It is worth knowing that the Netomnia Group as been acquired by Virgin Media.

  • dnpark38
    dnpark38 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper

    @flaneurs_lobster

    Think I've shown the OP if he takes up the YouFibre offer he will get a hole through a wall.

    The green blob is not on my Search results which I copied and paste, so sorry about it being out of my control.

    PS. I find it interesting that Netomnia has been taking over several other Alts last year and now been taken over by VM.

    I wonder if like my area we have Netomnia and VM if VM will ditch their coax network.

  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 14,510 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    £42 a month is expensive for 300mb, so there are probably deals using the Openreach network. It is possible to route a new cable without drilling through tanked walls.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.