We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Basic Broadband - EE to Sky advice

13»

Comments

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I don't know why Sky would change to be honest, it only affects Sky Q & HD+ which is on its last legs and broadband for which they've been happy with the churn since Jan 2014. The courtroom battle they lost was to do with their TV services, specifically Q & HD+, they were happy for the BB to remain as was. I've just checked mine as I returned to Sky BB recently and it's still "prices may rise".

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,431 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I thought you said to the OP that if they go to Sky for broadband they could leave in April due to price rises(if there is any) and the OP doesn't have TV service's which Sky.

    Could any customer still leave broadband penalty free now and in the future due to these rises?

  • Detail_Merchant
    Detail_Merchant Posts: 505 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    From Sky's broadband Terms and Conditions - https://static.skyassets.com/contentstack/assets/blt7f2b03fd02c7fe60/bltc2bb2eb831b81a73/684a9ac1fc233037b4bfd722/download?disposition=inline

    Page 4 - "Sky Broadband is variable and our prices and Products can change, even during your Minimum Term. You may end this contract during your Minimum Term without paying early termination charges if we make a change which is not exclusively to your benefit unless it is purely administrative in nature or directly
    imposed by law and we have notified you of that right.
    "

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Sky don't lock TV in with Broadband (generally anyway) and Q TV, HD+ TV and Sky BB all have the same "prices may rise" stipulation which means once you're made aware of the price increase (usually April but can be delayed depending on your contract start date) then you have a 31 day window in which to advise them that you are leaving ETC free. You would cancel the TV and (usually) use the OTS service to switch BB supplier. You can of course just use that as a negotiating tactic rather than actually leave. I did myself for the TV in April last despite only agreeing a new 24 month contract at the end of February.

  • Mr_Benn
    Mr_Benn Posts: 430 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Guys I'm really stressing myself out about this ( I suffer with Anxiety,) . I spoke to Sky today today to say go ahead with their tv package (which is a good price) and their broadband. I'm now worried that the WiFi will be crap and I will get more stressed haggling Sky over it, and I should've just stuck with BT till we can get Full Fibre, then decide. EE had no interest in me leaving, but I did get a missed call from them just before 6pm tonite. So I might go back to Sky to cancel just the broadband. Sorry to vent my stress on here.

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,431 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Only you know how much money is worth for your mental health.

    You may get a call from BT/EE or email saying stay and this is the offer take it or leave it or you won't get and stay with us offers.

    What speeds where you offered on Sky broadband and is an engineer Open reach coming out to you?

    Also I take it you are on Stream TV and is a Sky tech person going to setup the broadband and stream in your home

    A neighbour had sky fibre and stream set up by sky tech person and they sorted out the phone line and WiFi issues for them so you may be ok.

  • Mr_Benn
    Mr_Benn Posts: 430 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 26 June at 7:51AM

    Thank you Boohoo.

    We've got a Sky Q box. No engineer coming to site, they are just sending a new router.

    Normally Available: 49.2Mbps; Max: 50.7Mbps; Min: 44.3Mbp. We dont play online games, we do watch stuff on BBC iplayer for example.

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Your speeds are fine (to the router) if there's only the two of you, even if watching 2 different TVs or 1 and a PC say.

    WiFi however is a different matter and no one can predict what will happen until you've tried it. An ethernet cable where possible is always a better option.

  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 13,151 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    BT/EE do ask for router returned, they pay postage.

    I switched from the above to Sky in April, getting higher WIFI speeds all of the time than I was previously for same Fibre 150 package.

  • Mr_Benn
    Mr_Benn Posts: 430 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Hi Bristol, maybe its a shame I didnt see your post until after I spoke to BT again. Having notified Sky I was joining them, I then get a call from BT , and hey suddenly they offer me the Broadband and Landline for £25, so I decided to stay with them although it means a 2 year contract, as the speeds are okay for now and it means I still get BT Sport for £25 (I wasnt on the ball to see if I could get that reduced as well unfortunately). Once we can get full fibre then i will at my options then.

    Thanks everyone for the tips and advice, I hope it may be helpful for others as well.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.