We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Basic Broadband - EE to Sky advice
Comments
-
My house alarm plugs into a small BT adaptor X16 G90 that is just plugged into a power socket. There is also an X17 K43 that my home phone plugs into. "An X17-K43 is a wireless Digital Voice Adapter supplied by BT and EE. It allows you to plug your older or existing standard corded or cordless home telephone into a modern internet-based landline router (like the BT Smart Hub or EE Router). "
Unfortunately it seems these only work with BT/EE. So I may have to look for another alternative way to connect our Yale house alarm to our landline.Good tip about the options I could move away from Sky if things dont work out. I am tempted by the Virgin offer, but Sky is cheaper because they have pay as you go for landlines, rather than £8 a month. Thanks for the info about FTTP being better than Virgins lower Broadband packages. I had read that somewhere but good to have it confirmed.
0 -
I asked for a photo so we can see what your current alarm is connected to the BT socket as you may better answers.
As I have mentioned my phone connects to the router and my alarm works for dialing out.
Go to the above link and look through there and if not sure start a thread as yo will get advice on Sky routers/ phone connections .
0 -
The device that BT/EE supply are DECT extenders and as you mention, are only compatible with their routers. So if you move to Sky, you will need another solution.
0 -
Not sure what alarm model you have but my alarm telephone cable goes into a double adapter along with dect phone then to a connector(don't know technical name) and that connects to the "tel 1" port on the fttp router and all works.
Have look at the sky help forum I linked to for more info
0 -
The alarm is being connected via a BT supplied proprietary wireless extension device so presumably can't easily being connected directly to the router.
0 -
We will have to wait for OP to get back to us on that.
Most alarms are near the front door so the router shouldn't be too far away.
0 -
I've not seen anyone claim they've changed the T&Cs yet and of course they can't make them retrospective.
0 -
I was on about new contracts.
I can't see Sky keeping the way they have done contacts in the past as any one will join for a few months and then jump ship to another supplier rather than have built in price rises were you can't leave pentfree.
0 -
Currently we have the BT Hub upstairs, which is right next to the Alarm control panel unit. (it was upstairs to hardwire into my Desktop - but thats not needed now ).
The Alarm is a Yale Easy Fit Touch Screen alarm system (EF-Panel)If I remember rightly, plugging the alarm into the BT Hub stopped working after our phone line went from analogue to digital. So I had to buy the BT digital adaptors.
Id rather stick with BT , but cant justify spending £20 a month doing so. Its free for me to leave mid contract, as they admitted blame about a discount on the package, but they wont haggle on the price as say Im still in contract.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards