We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Basic Broadband - EE to Sky advice

Mr_Benn
Mr_Benn Posts: 430 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
edited 23 June at 10:41AM in Broadband & internet access

EE have bumped up my Basic Broadband to £39, as a discount has finished. I can leave with no charges. However, they dont seem interested in reducing it. Sky are offering a 2 year contract, with an average of £20 a month. I understand that Sky use the same Openreach network, though consensus is that BT routers have better wifi signal ? Signal is stable, we get about 45-50mb . We have to have a landline included for an alarm to dial us remotely. Full Fibre is showing as 'We’ll be building in this area in the next year. '.

Is there any reason I shouldnt switch to Sky to save £19 a month ? Just a little hesitant with the wi-fi signal round our house being okay right now. Thank you.

«13

Comments

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,431 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I have answeyyou question on the sky TV section as I didn't know about this one.

    You say alarm do you mean medical one or house alarms?

    I have an old Yale alarm that dials me if it goes off and I have fibre and I connect it to the tel connection on the fibre router that my landline telephone also connects to.

  • Mr_Benn
    Mr_Benn Posts: 430 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 23 June at 3:23PM

    Thanks Boohoo. Yes its a Yale alarm as well. We can only get part fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) - I will have to double check what it plugs into when I get home. I will report back.

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Your current setup will either plug into a BT Master socket or into the router itself if you're already on VoIP, when FTTP hits you, it'll be plugged into the router/hub. If you're already on VoIP then there wil be no change for yourself when you have FTTP except the router plugs into an internal ONT rather than the master socket.

  • Mr_Benn
    Mr_Benn Posts: 430 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    So it seems, hopefully, nothing will change if I move to Sky. Apart from getting a new router, which may or may not have as good wifi as the current EE one has. Worse case scenario I guess is I dump Sky broadband within the 31 days cool off period.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,459 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Do EE want the router back?

    Any chance that you can use it with the Sky service (either stand-alone or using it just as a wi-fi hub)?

  • Mr_Benn
    Mr_Benn Posts: 430 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I dont know if EE will ask for the router back yet.

    From a quick look this morning, the Yale Alarm box plugs into a small white BT box (just a cple of inches long with a green light on it), that is just plugged into a power socket. So that must be using the wifi to connect to the router, and then in turn to the landline.

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,431 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    That doesn't seem right to me.

    Photo of the set up would help and also alarm model number.

    Amazon have some "deals" on at the mo for WiFi mesh systems.

  • Mr_Benn
    Mr_Benn Posts: 430 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks so far. I will check the alarm set up when i get home (after an ice cream ! ) .

    Im thinking Sky because of cost, and ease of just swapping the routers over. Then hopefully to upgrade to FTTP if I need it within 12 months or so. My other option is Virgin, which Ive had a look at today. I can get their M250 Broadband at £18 (then £22 then £26), similar to Sky, but their only option for landlines is an additional £8 a month. This will give me faster speeds to my router, but may involve some digging up of path / garden to lay the cable.

  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    The advantage with Sky is you can switch in April next year when they announce the price rises, it's a knock on effect from them not stating the price rise at the start of the contract. It may give you more options if you get FTTP in your area by then.

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,431 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Not to go off topic but would Sky not have issued price rises in the new contracts after the court case they didn't win?

    Only saying as if they don't then loads of people would leave next year.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.