We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Foreign Currency

Hi,

I am going to receive a USD payment from my employer, currently designated to be deposited my UK high street bank account.

I am concerned that when the USD hits the GBP account it will be converted to GBP at a lousy exchange rate and/or attract large fees.

Is this is fair concern and if it is what is the best account that I can set up in a day or two to receive the USD cash and will not have such a punitive cost when it's converted to GBP?

Comments

  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 2,105 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Wise (previously TransferWise) is a common recommendation here. You can request a US bank account number for direct deposit in US$ and from there send on to your bank account at a competitive rate. See the Wise web site for rates relevant to the size of your transfer.

    I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.  All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • BikingBud
    BikingBud Posts: 2,991 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Do they normally pay you in dollars?

    What is the driver for this payment in dollars?

    Why can they not pay it via standard payroll?

    Although you may not get a good rate then but the change rate ask might sit with them.

    Your life is too short to be unhappy 5 days a week in exchange for 2 days of freedom!

    One can always make more money. No one who has ever lived can create more time.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 5,273 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Agreed that if they pay USD into your GBP account, then you will get ripped off by fees, poor exchange rates, or both.

    I would recommend being paid into a USD denominated account of some description and managing the currency conversion yourself. I would also recommend Wise, as suggested above. I use them for AUD/GBP conversions and find them competitive and the fees transparent.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,463 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Can you tell us the likely size of the payment?

    A few hundred $ is probably not worth the hassle of setting up a new account.

    If it's more than this (or it's set to be a regular occurence) then yes, a USD account would be a good move.

    I'd echo @BikingBud's comments - why not payroll? Be careful that such payments don't make you "of interest" to HMRC or your bank's anti money laundering department.

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,810 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I wouldn't expect you to get a lousy rate - just whatever the FX rate for the day is. But yes to fees. I know my bank wants something like £35 to cash a USD cheque. And then 10 days for the funds to clear even if it's a certified cheque (aka guaranteed by the bank that backs it). Bank transfers may have a lower charge as they are effectively automatic but still wouldn't be free.

    An ex employer of mine annoyed me by paying a share portion with a cheque for 97c in US funds, so maybe worth 80p. They had posted it to me from the US and because I knew the fees were higher than the value of the cheque I kept telling them the cheque hadn't been received. I'd be sent a new cheque (which cost them ?? air postage from the US plus time etc) and would wait a couple of months and tell them again it wasn't received. If they'd posted me a $1 bill it would have been much better for all concerned. I even suggested that they make out the cheque to a family member who had a USD account or give the money to charity but they wouldn't do it.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 6,480 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 18 June at 2:33PM

    The OP's definitely right to be concerned: you need to watch out for the banks' margins e.g., for less than £10k Lloyds will take 3.55% and a fee of £7 for USD deposits >£100. I second looking at a USD account with Wise.

    "A person in the United States makes a payment of $1,000 to your account. If the current GBP/USD wholesale rate is 1.2600, the Lloyds standard exchange rate applied to the incoming payment would be 1.3047, based on our current margin of 3.55%.

    In this example, if we receive $1,000, this means you’ll receive £759.44 in your account after we charge our £7 fee."

    https://www.lloydsbank.com/help-guidance/everyday-banking/payments-and-transfers/receive-international-payment.html

  • Maegi
    Maegi Posts: 270 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Whilst not as good as Wise USD account, some UK banks offer USD accounts and multi-currency products like HSBC Global Money that can hold USD. You can then convert at your leisure.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.