We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Perennials suitable for permanent shade
South west corner beneath a large holly tree.
Looking for something 3-4 ft high to go against the fence and something lower to cover the rest of the ground, preferably both as bright as possible
Comments
-
I suggest thinning out the crown on the holly a bit.
0 -
Variegated vinca should do okay there, I have some on a north facing wall.
Not sure about a 3 to 4 foot high option.
KKAs at 26.09.26:
- When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 - now £210,560
- OPs to mortgage = £20,180 Estd. interest saved = £10,393 to date
c. 17 months reduction in term
Fixed rate 3.85% ends October 2030
Read 73 books of target 52 in 2026 as @ 11th October.
Produce tracker: £329 of £400 in 2026
Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions.Watch your actions, they become your reality.1 -
The rhs site lists quite a few of varying heights.
I have a variegated laurel that does quite well and you might consider that as bright.
I think you might need to buy from a proper nursery rather than garden centre who tend to go for more main stream plants
2 -
Something like a Cotoneaster lacteus against that fence would provide clusters of flowers for bees and bright red berries later. It's evergreen.
Dry shade? There must be plenty of tolerant Geraniums. Anything's better than Begonias! 🤣 (Sorry!)
Yes to small vincas, like 'Gertrude Jekyll.' Bigger ones
will murdermay out-compete the geraniums.Never believe anything until it's officially denied.
1 -
I found this on the RHS website - for the fence perhaps? My only worry would be not letting it dry out
https://www.rhsplants.co.uk/plants/_/clematis-terniflora-var-mandshurica/classid.2000018069/1 -
Grandad - have you tried asking one of the AI bots? ChatGPT, free, for instance.
I have found them ideal for quickly listing your options.
Upload your pic & question, add any extra thoughts, like in UK, your county, available on line orders etc.
Member of "Rubbish at Radishes" club1 -
For against the fence I would plant a n evergreen climbing hydrangea (Hydrangea anomala subsp. petiolaris) as they are exceptional shade-tolerant climbers that thrive in partial to full shade. In front I would pop in some Japanese anenomies (probably the white ones, rather than the more common pink for colour consistency and as they glow in the dark a bit) and on the ground I would plant Pulmonaria (speckled green and cream leaves, with mauve flowers in spring), some Lily of the Valley for spring cream flowers, cyclamen and snowdrops for a bit more interest and some ajuga with bronze leaves and tiny purple/blue flowers. You then have interest all year round and the low-growing ground cover plants will spread with attractive foliage when not in flower
Save £12k in 2026 #2 I have banked £10,836.47 in 9 months, against a £10k target The Save £12k in 2026 thread is here
OS Grocery Challenge in 2026 I have a £3000 annual budget for 2026 - currently £1971.56 to the end of Sep
I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the grow your own in 2027 thread brand new and sparkling - feel free to join us and say what and how you are planning
My keep within our budget diary is here3 -
That looks like properr dry shade under that holly,
For the back against the fence, I'd look at one of the japanese anemones.
For ground cover, heucheras come in some lovely colours, they love the shade and help brighten things up.
The holly roots will compete for water, so whatever you choose will need lots of watering while it gets established.
Also, looking at your photo, I'd be tempted to add some spring bulbs too. Snowdrops, bluebells aoften do surprisingly well under trees and give colour early
I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.3 -
This isn't entirely shade. It's dry because it's under an evergreen tree, so no overhead sunlight, but plainly receives sun for part of the day.
Does it face south, east or west?
If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing1 -
Have you thoiught about transplanting the ?conifer bush from the lawn to the border? It will cast even more shade onto that spot as it grows.
No man is worth crawling on this earth.
So much to read, so little time.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards






