We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

New flat cooking options

13»

Comments

  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 1,352
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    If you're going to just eat variations of mince then buy a slow cooker - not expensive and very cheap to run

  • olb81
    olb81 Posts: 299
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Yeah what's cheap about minced beef ?

  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,900
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 14 June at 8:51PM

    Buy a job lot of roasting bags. Keeps the oven very clean. You can do veg, meat, fish etc in them. They are similar to the steam bags you mentioned.

    Personally I would use the oven, wipe it out as you go along and when the time comes, if needed, pay for a professional clean. There's always offers on, but it shouldn't cost more than £60.

  • olb81
    olb81 Posts: 299
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I'm looking for some tips on clean cooking for a single person.

    I've got an electric oven and glass hob built in, and thats it.

    I started using the oven just for ready meals and burgers/meatballs on a baking tray, however this has already started to "stain" the oven, in terms of a slight smell and the glass had some dirt on it when i wiped it.

    Im guessing the fan is blowing all the particles around as the food is boiling at 17-180c.

    I dont want to end up with a filthy oven!

    Could I try canned food, for example , m and s does cans of minced beef, chilli, steak and kidney , which just require heating up, which would make no mess in a pan on the hob.

    Regarding the ready meals, i can buy 3 for £10 generally such as lasagne, spag bol, and they actually say microwave recommended.

    If I bought a £50 microwave, perhaps I can contain all my mess in this one device. I know there are steam bags of veg as well which take 3 mins in a microwave.

    I guess a microwave costs less than an oven which takes 5-10 mins to heat up then another 20-30 mins to cook the meal.

    I know many people may say I am lazy or scared of mess, and thats partially true.

    However I am not one of those people ordering my food ready made on a bike delivery service or getting take aways every night.

    I am also not willing to eat out any more due to the cost £10-20 each time. A £3 ready meal and a 50p veg bag is filling enough.

    I'd love to hear any recomendations and whether I can put the oven to bed!

  • mazjohn108
    mazjohn108 Posts: 55
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 30 September at 1:42PM

    Since I've been on my own, I haven't used my oven in 2 years. I use a small air fryer, the microwave or the hob. I wash the airfryer basket every time I use it so it doesn't get too greasy..

  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 36,595
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    edited 30 September at 1:42PM

    You asked a similar question here:

    New flat cooking options — MoneySavingExpert Forum

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,165
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 30 September at 1:42PM

    Clean oven once it cools down

    Life in the slow lane
  • olb81
    olb81 Posts: 299
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 30 September at 1:42PM

    oh thank you polly cat i forgot about that

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,821
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    edited 30 September at 1:42PM

    Get a bottom of the oven liner as that will at least make cleaning up a bit easier.

    But truthfully my biggest way to "clean cook" is to use the bbq. It's quick, it's outside, things are cooked directly on the grills (no pans to clean!!) and then a high heat burn off cleans up all the mess.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 19,117
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Senior Ambassador

    I've merged them together so that you can see previous helpful replies too 😊

    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.