We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Trying to sort out the Miss/Mrs/Ms conundrum.

12346

Comments

  • Whalie
    Whalie Posts: 227
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    If I have to choose then I put Ms. I have never married but I often get correspondence addressed to Mrs using my birth name. I always think of Miss as being young and using it while older does not seem to fit! My choice is no title but as said by others, this is not always accepted!

  • Cubicsrube
    Cubicsrube Posts: 122
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Bold proposal: all officialdom and companies should standardise on 'Mr' and 'Ms' - or better still, get rid of honorifics entirely and so start addressing adult humans as just that.

    Keep sex as a data point in medicine obviously but there its too important to be extrapolated from someone's title anyway. I can't think of anywhere else that gender, let alone marital status, is relevant and not already captured more reliably another way.

    I humbly submit that this modest proposal would save untold headaches and admin and probably money.

  • Bzzzz
    Bzzzz Posts: 8
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

    I'm single but always use Mrs if I have to use a title. It seems that now days Mrs is more used as an adult title than marital status. I've come across several women who are not married but use Mrs.

  • KittenChops
    KittenChops Posts: 535
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I took my husband's surname when we got married - purely because I much preferred it to my maiden name - and I use Mrs as my title (but I would have no problem with Ms)

    What really winds me up is if I am referred to as Mrs husband's-first-name surname. I am not that person thank you very much - I think it sounds incredibly old fashioned & even a bit like I am some sort of chattel & not a person in my own right. I also hate receiving a Christmas card (for example) where the envelope is addressed to "Mr & Mrs husband's-first-name surname" - which only really happens if my mother in law writes it - I haven't quite got the message through to her yet. The suggestion of addressing it to "Mrs & Mr wife's-first-name surname" is my next move! (In fact I might use that for my parents-in-law this Christmas & see if she notices!)

  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 1,051
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    a Medical Practitoner in the UK and commonwelath and indeed in some European states does not hold a Doctorate

    a Doctorate is a third Cycle Bologna Qualification and a MBBS / MbChB despite being styled as a Dual Bachelors is a NQF Level 7 / Second Bologna Cycle qualification

  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 25,432
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Who refers to you that way? Though it is officially correct, it's not very common nowadays, unless you are moving in very elite circles?

    Your MIL is probably very 'old school' and remembers that is the way she was taught to address correspondance in typing classes and isnt doing it to annoy you - unless you suspect otherwise of course.

  • KittenChops
    KittenChops Posts: 535
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Ha-ha! Not in elite circles!
    And yes, it is most likely just an age thing with my MIL who's not doing it to annoy me, but also can't understand why it might annoy me

    (If that's all I've got to worry about…!)

  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,791
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    On the subject of Dr… Italians use Dottore as a title of respect to anyone with a degree in almost any field and tiles like Avvocato (Law) or Architetto (guess what…) if you have professional qualifications in that field. So m'wife (MSc in the UK) is Dottoressa if she wants to be and I (BSc) can be Dottore if I want to be but I prefer Ingegnere.

    I need to think of something new here...
  • kermchem
    kermchem Posts: 289
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    The Dutch equivalent is "Doctorandus" (Latin for "Doctor to be") for anyone with a first degree in most science and social science subjects, and different titles for Engineering, Law etc. graduates. But, to get back to the thread title, there is also the title "Doctoranda" for female graduates. Even 30 years ago this was almost unheard of to be used.

  • krikri
    krikri Posts: 5
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

    I go with "Mrs" as do almost all my friends. "Ms" sounds odd IMO/ These days amongst adult women "Mrs" does not neccissarilly mean married.

    One person I know used "Ms" for a while but gave up as people always called her "Mrs" anyway. She got fed up with fighting it!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.