We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Seeking Advice on How To Send £40k from UK to US
I may need to send £40k from UK to US. What would be my best options ie security, minimising fees/costs, speed etc.
I do have a wise account
I'll be sending this amount to either an estate agent or solicitor so NOT to a private indivual in case this makes any difference the responses.
Thanks…..
Comments
-
Just send it from Wise to US. Not sure if you even need to open a USD account for this unless you want to convert £»$ in advance.
Will cost you about £123 - wise.com/gb/send-money/send-money-to-the-usa
1 -
Although I've had my Wise account for some time I've actually used it for transferring / sending money abroad.
I see, so I have two options with Wise.
I can put my ££'s into my Wise GBP account and send to the US from there, or I could create a USD account in Wise, put my ££'s in there to have it converted into $$'s and then send to the US recipient
Thanks again!
0 -
There's really no difference. The conversion cost is the same. I used to move USD to £ in Wise then send it. Now I just send straight from USD in Wise to my main bank account.
I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.1 -
Well, today I created a US bank account in Wise so I've got that option to use now.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

