We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Points for using phone

1…5681011…13

Comments

  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,789 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I am not an expert on the procedure. Maybe, maybe not. Maybe the factors around holding the phone and ability to be fully in control would simply be considerations in the whether or not the OP was using the phone.

    Particularly as the OP can't even really recall what they were doing with the phone other than not talking on it:

    If I would've said on webcam I wasn't talking on it, but can't remember if I said I was using it or i was holding it.

    Can't see how taking this to court will work in the favour of the OP.

  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 9,199 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Indeed. And the likely guilty verdict will cost him about a grand.

  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,236 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 14 June at 12:22AM

    I watch the cycling mikey channel sometimes and when they do go to court the total bill is often far worse than the
    original ticket. I think I have only seen one case where the total cost appeared to be less than the original
    fine?

    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • textbook
    textbook Posts: 962 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    1000072712.jpg

    Still time?

  • TooManyPoints
    TooManyPoints Posts: 1,811 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Yup.

    You have until 25th June (a week next Thursday).

  • textbook
    textbook Posts: 962 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Paid it. I think they saw me holding it up on roundabout then followed me down dual carriageway and saw me still holding it again. Two of them. I admitted holding it bit not using it as holdall thing was broken. I think claiming I was just moving it wouldn't work due to two separate incidents but dunno.

    I need to sort two good phone holdalls ASAP.

  • LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 18 June at 8:26AM

    Hopefully you read and followed any directions relating to providing your licence details

    Also - dont forget to check your insurance policy as to when/how you need to inform them

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,934 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    What possible need is there to be "holding but not using" it while you're driving round a roundabout then along a dual carriageway, anyway…?

    Exactly this.

    If it's not being used (and the OP has stated several times that they weren't using it for any purpose), it could have been in a jacket pocket, inside the glovebox, stuffed into a door bin, stood up in a cup holder, tucked into the boot - anywhere other than in the OPs hand.

    "Holding it" is one of the least appropriate ways for a driver to transport a mobile phone.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 21,789 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    My wife called me in the week and relayed an incident, which we can laugh about. She was standing at the bus stop, checked the time of the next bus on the app (1 minute) and then browsed something on her phone and the next thing she noticed was that the bus was showing as 13 minutes. She noted a number of people had left the bus stop. Yep, she had been so distracted that she missed the bus pulling up and away again.

    So, we can laugh about that as no harm is done. Just think, though, had she been driving and that distracted…

    When driving I always keep the phone in the storage bin with the lid closed over, or in the bag in the boot.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.