We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Points for using phone
Comments
-
It would be my guess that because it's distracting to use a smartphone whilst driving, even with Bluetooth; his employer discourages the use of mobiles.
I had 3 calls from my office today, when they should have known that I was driving; which I believe is against H+S policy.
0 -
Getting cruise up and kicking on that should be as easy as fitting the stalk, then programming it with Diagbox/Lexia - the PSA "dealer" software - and that's straightforward to get working. There's a FB group that has all the downloads you need to set the software up, and you need the right cable, which is relatively easy to obtain.
1 -
One issue with cruise control/speed limiters is that you need to know at what speed to engage it in the first place
(If you do use it,learn to disable it manually instead of tapping your brakes)
Relying on apps etc is in my opinion a bad idea
Better to be observant and brush up on the Highway Code and such
0 -
I had 3 calls from my office today, when they should have known that I was driving; which I believe is against H+S policy.Maybe it was a test…
My work had a similar policy and I actually found it quite liberating. Also quite a handy excuse if you didn't fancy answering the phone when not actually driving.
0 -
@LightFlare - "… Relying on apps etc is in my opinion a bad idea
Better to be observant and brush up on the Highway Code and such."
This ^ with bells on!
0 -
That assumes signs are clearly visible. I was caught in a 30 limit that was mostly a country road with fields either side, a popular spot for a speed camera van…
Now I have a car which has a road sign camera and I also use Waze that also beeps to warn that you are over the speed limit. Of the two, Waze tends to be better as the camera sometimes sees signs at a junction that have been turned around and gives a false warning beep for a long distance. With Waze, in addition to being able to mark speed camera vans and other hazards "on the move", you can notify Waze of speed limit errors and they are usually attended to within a couple of weeks. Even the guy running the speed awareness course said he used Waze!
0 -
I was caught in a 30 limit that was mostly a country road with fields either side, a popular spot for a speed camera van…
Were there no clearly visible signs, then?
0 -
Missed them while looking at their phone… 😊
2 -
I thought the the white van man was exempt from all traffic laws?
0 -
There would have had to have been regular repeaters or streetlights for the 30 to be enforceable, yes.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

