We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Points for using phone

1…7891012

Comments

  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 3,240
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    The issue with this particular stretch of road is that as you exit the Selby bypass and head towards Selby along the A19 from the A63 roundabout, the road has all the appearance of being more than a 30 limit. It is the second most lucrative speed camera location in North Yorkshire, they could easily add a camera sign with the 30 limit sign as a reminder, but that would significantly reduce their income.

    In many North Yorkshire locations there are speed reminder signs that indicate your speed, if this stretch of road had such an issue with speed then it is surprising they don't add fixed cameras or at least those reminder speed displays.

  • TooManyPoints
    TooManyPoints Posts: 1,813
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    …they could easily add a camera sign with the 30 limit sign as a reminder,…

    But if you've seen the "30" sign, your proposal suggests that you only need to comply with the limit in places where you are likely to be caught.

    Something like "I saw a 'camera' warning sign next to the '30' roundel, so I'd better obey the limit".

  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    As we all know, speed cameras are not revenue generators. 🤣

    They are only placed at accident blackspots in order to reduce casualties.

    In order to do their job, they need to be well publicised/easily visible so that motorists slow down at the blackspot.

    If the camera catches literally thousands of motorists driving at what is surely a dangerous speed through the blackspot, then the camera has failed (since it doesn't catch people familiar with the road then we can't even rely on totting to take these dangerous drivers off the roads.)

    So if the camera is failing in such a big way, then the LA should look at providing more/clearer signage. 😉

    As you point out, the fact that motorists need a big stick to comply with speed limits is a problem, but since that is what happens, we need to be aware of it.

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • textbook
    textbook Posts: 963
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Is waze connected to a camera? I have it on my phone. How do I get it to beep or warn me if I'm going over speed limit?

  • textbook
    textbook Posts: 963
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    HHolding it up and tapping stuff into it

    I can't remember what I info I put in online. I paid the fine, surely I would've inputted my van reg I was using at the time? I haven't heard anything back for now. I've still got the letter, how do I check I've inputted correct info? It was months ago now.

    Regarding insurance, I was gonna tell them during renewal in Nov. Would like to know how much first though

  • LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 1,948
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 September at 3:15PM

    Go online and check if the points have been added to your licence

    What was the date that you paid the fine - check whichever method that you paid with, that the amount has definitely been debited

    The letter that you still have - can you post a copy of it here - make sure personal info it redacted

    *edit - how many points (if any) do you/did you already have on your licence

  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Waze has a large userbase updating any errors and displays limits based on it's database of roads, so it won't react to smart motorways quickly enough.

    It can be set somehow (I can't remember, and the "simple" interface isn't very intuitive) to beep when more than 0%, 5% or 10% over the limit. there are two speed displays, one for what it thinks the limit is and one for your actual GPS speed.

    Like all driver aids, it is no substitute for looking out the window, but can be useful if you aren't paying attention to your speed (which of course is Careless Driving….. 😉)

    I use it through Android Auto. It works as well as anything "free*" can be expected to. Sometimes it even announces "object in road", "pothole ahead" etc.

    *free in the sense I don't pay for it with money, only my privacy, but since HMG track my 'phone, and my car via ANPR cameras anyway, who cares if Waze know I go to Tesco and then Aldi every Saturday morning?

    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 3,240
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I have Waze set to alert me at the speed limit. You can set it 5 mph, 10 mph over, etc. That is no use as doing 25 in a 20 or 35 in a 30, will get you a notice of intended prosecution letter from the camera van people.

    My phone is linked to the car infotainment system, so the navigation display is the car screen and voice prompts come over the car speakers.

    My car also has a forward facing camera to pick up road signs and lane markers. The speed limit it detects is shown on the instrument panel and there is an audible "beep" if you are exceeding it.

    The above (and a MK1 eyeball) should avoid speeding tickets. Waze and the car camera are a better bet than relying on seeing a pesky camera van and braking in the hope they haven't already recorded your speed.

  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 4,056
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I drive with Waze running on the satnav and the car also makes 3 bongs should I ever exceed the speed limit. It almost takes a conscious effort to speed these days. However, I initially turned the bongs off at the start of every journey but I've found my ears tune them out now and I don't even notice them.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.