We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Trading 212 withdrawing interest

Hi Folks.

I'm a newbie to this one. I have 3 x years of Trading 212 ISAs, the 3rd being current 2025/6. I want to withdraw the floating £2,000 interest, but £2,000 comes off my 2025/6 allowance (and the interest still shows as interest). This generates lots of questions, of course.

Qs:

Does that mean I'm losing £2,000 tax free allowance?

When I tip over into the new tax year, will £18,000 + £2,000(interest) = £20,000 be locked in for the 2025/6 year, or will it be locked in at £18,000?

Comments

  • InvesterJones
    InvesterJones Posts: 1,883 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    The £20k limit is for new contributions. Previous years values (contributions + growth) don't count.

  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 2,103 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    You can pay in £20,000 of new money into ISAs each financial year. Taking interest or capital from this or previous years will not impact that.

    I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.  All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,808 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    It's all just money on your account. Capital, interest, it's just money.

    If you take £2000 out of a flexible ISA you can put £2000 back in during the same tax year.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 19,432 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 20 February at 2:08PM

    Does that mean I'm losing £2,000 tax free allowance?

    Yes you are. If you leave it inside the ISA then you retain that allowance. For a flexible ISA you can add it back before the end of the tax year but beyond that it's lost.

    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Jordan72
    Jordan72 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 21 February at 1:39PM

    Yes you can take out cash from your T212 flexible ISA and - as you long as you pay it back within the same tax year you took it out (i.e. before April 5th) you retain your ISA status. You could take it right out again after April 6th. I took out £17K and put it into a better paying non-ISA account and will transfer it back into the T212 ISA within the next month or so.

    This is only worthwhile to me as I can benefit from the SRB (Savings rate band) which boosts my tax free savings rate up to £6K per annum. I have done similar with my IG Group S&S ISA account cash balance, which I will also return into it's ISA wrapper before 5th April.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.