We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Turning Straw into Gold: Creating Long Term Security & A Solid Home

1…6566687071…73

Comments

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 531
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I'm taking a hot water bottle to bed tonight, as I am trying to last until the end of October before putting the heating on and it's gone a bit cold. Feeling quite smug about this as I will be super warm for a low cost.

    Going to watch a few videos about under-consumption before I drift off, in an attempt to programme my mind 🤣

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

  • ArtyJ931
    ArtyJ931 Posts: 415
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    there was me impressed about nearly getting to the end of September

    DFW info LBM: March 26

    Total 03/26 69,481

    My DMP Diary - year 1

    "You put one foot in front of the other and one day you look back and see that you have climbed a mountain" Ready for the climb.💪

  • ellenvan
    ellenvan Posts: 534
    500 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Just an idea, maybe keep something for work lunch as a backup plan in your desk.

    E.g. pot noodle type long lasting.

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 531
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    @ArtyJ931, I'm going hardcore. I'd go to December except I don't think too much damp will do the house any good. I'll be putting it on at a lower temperature even then and switching some radiators off.

    @ellenvan, this is a fabulous idea, thank you for this! I may even get a store brand pot noodle in the spirit oif money saving 😁

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

  • Dakota_Rose
    Dakota_Rose Posts: 853
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I second the suggestion of having a work stash. I have a box of porridge sachets and breakfast biscuits in my cupboard at work. I know I’m desperate if I get them out but will never go hungry!

    I don’t get a chance to leave work for lunch so if I forget something, I’m going without completely and I don’t deal well with hunger.

    PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
    21/26 books for 2026

    Take the time to find the joy in each day

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 531
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Got paid and that really felt like forever. Made a round down of £5.65 on loan to make it a round figure, and paying an automatic overpayment. Both of the loans will go down to below the next thousand next month, which is pleasing. I have to wait a few days to update my mortgage, net worth and net debt, as the figure hasn't updated yet. I decided to go to the opticians and order my new glasses at the weekend now, as I have put this off since last October and that's enough. I am trying to come out of my overdraft, but depending on how much the glasses cost I may not be able to. Going to have another cheap month of groceries and no other expenditure, with continued TGTG, yellow sticker items, and frozen fruit and veg.

    I had to buy a new phone charger (sadly £8) on the way home (why are these so short lasting?). If anyone can recommend an iphone charger where the wire that goes into the phone doesn't go weird within a year of use, then please do so. Do they make them deliberately bad, so you have to keep purchasing a new one? Whilst at the shop, I couldn't resist looking at the yellow sticker items and for £10.48, I got: a Pizza Express american pepperoni pizza (straight in the freezer), a mexican bean chilli and rice microwave meal (also in the freezer), mixed fancy mushrooms, double chocolate cake bites, pulled ham hock, a ham and cheese sandwich (lunch for tomorrow), large pot of skyr, 2 x large kefirs, wraps, thin bagels, jar of cranberry sauce, and excitingly, pistachio crisp milk chocolate dates.

    It's mushrooms on toast for tea and this all will ensure I can delay grocery shopping a bit longer. This is my life at the moment - delaying expenditures. I am delaying groceries, delaying buying anything new, delaying new clothes and shoes, delaying toiletries until what I have is entirely used up, delaying house items until whatever I already have falls apart, and only buying one of everything. The energy price cap goes up by 4% this week and I was horrified to read earlier that it's going up by another 16% in January. How can they continue to justify doing this to people? I saw something I liked on social media: "Being broke is exhausting in ways people don't talk about. Fix the debt, build the cushion, and watch how much calmer life starts to feel". I am renewed about being sensible, paying off debt, building the EF.

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 531
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    That's good to get something I don't really like, as I won't eat it unless I really need to, and it will make me remember lunch - as I would work hard to stay focused, to never have to eat a breakfast biscuit 😂

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 531
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I've just paid £33.01 to round up the emergency fund to a round figure. I like doing that! I started my training course yesterday, which comes with the occasional half day out of work, so that was nice. Today I've brought a yellow sticker sandwich that I got last night and will be filling my nice new water bottle with free water. I'll have to cook something later on to use up some stuff, not sure what I'll make yet. It's tempting to just exist on yogurts and bread for a few days but not very practical or healthy.

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 531
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Having my Friday night tradition of low cost pizza tonight (spicy chicken for £1.52 from a yellow sticker haul). I was thinking back to the days before the cost of living increases and when I wasn't thinking about money so much, where I would think nothing of spending £20 on a takeaway pizza. I wish past me had known to be a bit more savvy with money and save and invest what I could! It would have made things a lot less stressful now if I had done that, and realistically I am just as happy with a frozen pizza.

    I popped to the shop on my way past and picked up a big tub of Utterly Butterly for 70p, spring onions for 22p, and some frozen peas and peppers, which I think were about £1.70 each. I am gradually restocking the freezer by buying a few bits of fruit and veg. I filled up the car with petrol as well and that was £48. I'm going to try to have a work from home day next week, probably Tuesday. If I try for one each week, it will save me nearly a week's worth of petrol over a month, as I'm not using the car now except for work.

    Looking forward to having a night off, wrapped in a blanket, cosy slippers, reading a free book on Borrow Box and probably falling asleep.

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.