We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Turning Straw into Gold: Creating Long Term Security & A Solid Home

1…6768697173

Comments

  • could you pop £3.50 into a savings pot each time you start a new lip balm from home?

    June 2026, Mortgage free, Emergency fund fully funded & £200/200 cash maximum pb holding .:jWeight 12st challenge 11st 2lb

    Gift to children challenge £40k in 2 years. Short term gift challenge 7 presents and $1300 can by September.

    Determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection. I’m not perfect but I’m good enough.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6673398/hopefully-cruising-with-focus-towards-retirement#latest
  • Blackcats
    Blackcats Posts: 4,823
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I have a tea shelf in my cupboard. I really like the yorkshire tea cherry Bakewell flavour and the Victoria sponge is my current favourite.

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 531
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    @ArtyJ931, that's a brilliant idea, thank you, I'll have to put some post its by the front door and write "have you got your lunch?" on one, as a checkpoint on the way out - great plan! :)

    @in_need_of_direction, I love that, will definitely do that, I have enough of them to last for years. I've put one by the sofa so I can apply some when I sit down. I've been using it on my cuticles and elbows too. I like the idea of tying it to some savings as a further positive money saving action.

    @Blackcats, I haven't managed to spot the Cherry Bakewell one anywhere on my travels yet, though I look for it every time I go a supermarket. Hoping to try it soon, as I love all of them! It's a nice low cost treat isn't it, as you get about 40 teabags for £2.50 or so. Small things like this are nice ❤️

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 531
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    @Blackcats, this is such a lovely idea 😍, I love thinking of you having a little treat on a Friday and I think I might start doing that myself - it's a really sweet idea. I bought a lovely small ceramic dish a while ago from the charity shop and was wondering about it's purpose… evidently this! 🤣

    I have got some treats (kitkats and chocolate toffees) and put them in a cupboard, so that I forget to eat them. Friday would be a good time to have a few toffees and a kitkat. The thing I currently like most is chocolate brazils but I am buying them rarely, because they are a) full of fat and b) pretty expensive. I'll have to train myself to be one of those people who can have one and ignore the rest of the packet.

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 531
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Having a work from home day today and also waiting for a parcel to be delivered - the dry flex, which couldn't be delivered to a pick up point. Once that comes I need to pop out at lunch or after work to get the heat gun from the pick up point, and then just wait for a dry weekend to do the front door.

    If it's not too late in the day, I will walk there to save on not using the car for unnecessary journeys and to get some exercise. I have got a shopping trolley I can take, to grab any useful yellow sticker stuff while there. I need some weetabix as well. Saving the bigger stuff like toilet rolls for when I get a delivery.

    Last night I really wanted KFC after my late shift and I didn't get any, I came home and ate stuff I already have and took my sustainable water bottle (and a hot water bottle) to bed, so that was nice. I think money not spent is becoming my new satisfaction, as it's paying off my overdraft. I am still struggling with the water bottle, as I really hate the taste of any tap water even when filtered, but I am not paying any more for bottled water, so I'll just have to get used to the disgusting taste.

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

  • OpalGirl
    OpalGirl Posts: 141
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Could you add something to the water to dilute the taste - maybe a dash of lemon or lime or something similar?

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 531
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 6 October at 10:13PM

    That's a good idea @OpalGirl, I will have a little experiment with some things, thank you.

    Had a no spend day and didn't end up going to pick up the parcel as I couldn't be bothered to walk. I will go tomorrow on the way back from work, so it's not an extra journey. I've had quite a low effort day.

    I have managed to find a dupe version of the bronzer I like (Benefit Hoola Light), as the Benefit one is now £34, which is crazy. I had one I had been using for ages and it's now gone and people keep asking if I'm ok and saying I look tired. Granted, I am tired, but I only look deathly because I'm not wearing bronzer. Anyway, there is one called Honolulu that's only £4 in Boots, which looks the same. A £30 saving!! At some point, when I am feeling rich enough to spend £4 I will get that, but I first have to use up some bronzers and blushes I already have. I'm currently using a combination of an old Benefit Georgia, with a mini version of Dallas and Coralista. I've been piling it on to look healthier and hit pan on all of them.

    I haven't bought much makeup in recent years, but this is one of the areas I used to waste a lot of money on and when I put everything into my spreadsheet I saw that I actually have 19 blushes and bronzers. It's going to take me a couple of years to use them all and I'm unsure about whether to persevere and use up the ones I don't like as much, as a money saving exercise, or get rid of them if they aren't right for me. I could do like I am doing with conditioners and wear the bad ones on days no one I care for will see me 😂

    ETA: I am on my training tomorrow and I don't know anyone, so I could have a crappy products day and wear all the hair and make up products I want to use up but don't much like!

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

  • Lolina
    Lolina Posts: 30
    10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I love Benefit cosmetics (big Benetint fan!) but their prices have gone crazy. £34 for Hoola is just beyond a joke! Glad you found a dupe that works for you.

  • get rid of the ones that aren’t for you. Don’t shortchange yourself, you will still have enough for a while along with some lovely empty space. Some supermarkets have cosmetic bins and women’s homeless charities are always grateful for unopened products.

    June 2026, Mortgage free, Emergency fund fully funded & £200/200 cash maximum pb holding .:jWeight 12st challenge 11st 2lb

    Gift to children challenge £40k in 2 years. Short term gift challenge 7 presents and $1300 can by September.

    Determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection. I’m not perfect but I’m good enough.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6673398/hopefully-cruising-with-focus-towards-retirement#latest
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.