We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Turning Straw into Gold: Creating Long Term Security & A Solid Home

1…6769717273

Comments

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 531
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I have done my spreadsheet and scared myself at the amount I am still spending. I will have to double down on never spending a penny. I've cut anything extra now like my netflix and pretty much stopped grocery shopping altogether. I am going to try having a month of existing on nothing but yellow sticker food, what's already in the kitchen and TGTG, to see if that can help re-set things. Tomorrow, I have to go and buy some new glasses, as it's been a year exactly since my presciption changed and I have persevered even with headaches, but it's becoming more difficult to use the computer for work.

    I have paid £24.75 towards the morgage to bring it a little lower and to a round figure, and I have also sent £36.16 to my energy account, and with this month's regular payment it's now back to £0 balance, which is exciting. I have to do my gas meter reading at the weekend though, which will add my standing charge, even though I haven't had the heating on, so there will just be a small amount for hot water.

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 531
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 2 October at 7:20PM

    Forgot to say, I updated my signature and the new figures are there now. I have been rounding each thing up or down, to chip away an extra bit. Last month I swapped net wealth to net debt, as it's a more realistic picture and represents what I am working on. That's gone down pleasingly in a month.

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

  • Dakota_Rose
    Dakota_Rose Posts: 853
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    We had low-cost pizza for Friday tea too. Always goes down well with our bunch. Blanket and a good book to follow sounds perfect!

    PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
    21/26 books for 2026

    Take the time to find the joy in each day

  • Chocolatefund
    Chocolatefund Posts: 349
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Debt-free and Proud! Photogenic
    Forumite

    I had an epic dinner consisting of a breakfast bar and a Pot Noodle. Living the dream.

    Debt free dairy. Busting this debt before 42. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6655663/busting-this-debt-before-42#latest

    Starting date January 2026
    Car loan: £23,000 / £12,825
    Laptop loan: £1,500 / £0

    I eat far too much chocolate...
  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 531
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    @Dakota_Rose, it's a good Friday night treat and I honestly don't think an expensive takeaway pizza is that much better. I don't know how takeways are surviving as I don't know how anyone affords them.

    @Chocolatefund, a sophisticated combination, and probably less than two quid in total, well done 😂

    I am going to spend a bit of time on some survey sites and try to earn enough supermarket vouchers to restock the freezer. I am also having a look at cashback webites as my phone is now so old that most of the cashback apps won't work on it, so I will have to use one that's a webpage instead.

    My main tasks for the weekend are to get some new glasses sorted, read the gas meter, and get on top of my work task list. I have a few big jobs to do that would have been part of other people's work, but we still have a lot of staffing issues, so I need to clear some stuff that's getting in the way of doing my own job.

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

  • ArtyJ931
    ArtyJ931 Posts: 415
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I had a takeaway! Chinese. £12 delivered and it’ll make two dinners. I think that’s not a bad treat.

    DFW info LBM: March 26

    Total 03/26 69,481

    My DMP Diary - year 1

    "You put one foot in front of the other and one day you look back and see that you have climbed a mountain" Ready for the climb.💪

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 531
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    What did you get for £12? That's pretty good, they are a lot more expensive in my area.

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

  • ArtyJ931
    ArtyJ931 Posts: 415
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    a Chinese 😂 I’m veggie so it’s mainly sides and always cheaper. 🎉

    DFW info LBM: March 26

    Total 03/26 69,481

    My DMP Diary - year 1

    "You put one foot in front of the other and one day you look back and see that you have climbed a mountain" Ready for the climb.💪

  • MillQueen
    MillQueen Posts: 531
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    @ArtyJ931, that's really good value, I don't eat that kind of stuff, but £12 wouldn't even get you a small margharita pizza in my area.

    I am off to walk into town to get new glasses. Going to try to get cheap frames as there is nothing I can do about the cost of lenses as I have such terrible eyes I need specific ones. Tomorrow I need to go to a hardware type shop to get a heat gun and some dry flex, so I can make the front door last the winter.

    Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…

    Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)

    Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)

    Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)

    Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)

    Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)

    Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)

  • ellenvan
    ellenvan Posts: 534
    500 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Just a thought when you mentioned cashback sites. Have you looked at bank switching, also swap credit cards. Can be beneficial on cashback sites.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.