We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Turning Straw into Gold: Creating Long Term Security & A Solid Home
Comments
-
Hello and happy Saturday to you all. I am having a no spend day. Well I am actually doing a fantasy shop, putting things in my grocery basket that I'd like to get when I get paid. I don't actually think groceries should be a luxury I look forward to when getting paid, but these are the times we are living in. I have loads of work to do, but first I am going to have a nap and some lunch, then maybe read a book for a bit.
Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…
Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)
Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)
Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)
Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)
Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)
Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)
4 -
Well I managed to burn the tortillas, but it's not too much of a waste, as it was only three out-of-date wraps that I was trying to do something useful with. I have had a nap and done a few work tasks.
Going to have another nap and do a bit of reading now. I've got a frozen pizza in the oven. This one wasn't reduced but it was cheap as I tend to get them when I see store brand ones that are about £2.
Having my weekend ritual of a cheap pizza and a nice hot drink - tonight's is decaf "bedtime tea", as last night I had a salted caramel latte and then couldn't sleep from the caffeine.
I need to bake a bag of baking potatoes tomorrow to have for work lunches and make the omelette thing that I've been planning, and then that will see me through the next couple of days. There are a few things I could do with from the shop, but I'm trying to wait as long as possible and use what I have.
Going to read a free book on BorrowBox now.
Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…
Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)
Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)
Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)
Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)
Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)
Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)
4 -
I am a big fan of a fantasy shop. It used to be my favourite pastime on online clothes stores when I was truly broke and I would fantasise about pressing go to checkout 😂 - to be fair most of the time, just filling it up gave me the dopamine hit I needed.
Absolutely shouldn’t be needed for food shops though, I agree!PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
21/26 books for 2026Take the time to find the joy in each day
3 -
Yes true, maybe a fantasy shop is enough to get the enjoyment of it without buying the stuff. I saw a post on social media that said a lot of people are finally earning the income they always wanted, it's just that housing, groceries and living became just as expensive by the time they got there. This describes my experience of earning a salary I've always worked towards and then being no better off than I was.
I have been reading about cheap recipes from times gone by and saw potato soup, which is just potatoes, an onion, milk and a little butter, so I plan to try that later in the week, just out of interest, as I have the ingredients. I now have tasks to do and I can choose between recycling and bins, cooking an omelette, reading a book, making a presentation or having a nap, as all will be helpful to do today.
The book/nap sound like a nice combo until I am hungry enough to start cooking.
Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…
Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)
Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)
Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)
Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)
Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)
Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)
5 -
The cooking and bins are now taken care of, so it's time for some free reading on Borrow Box. I have got 4 baked potatoes (to have with cottage cheese tomorrow, then with tuna mayo on Tuesday), and I have made a spanish style vegetable omelette for tomorrow's tea. I have no idea if that's really how you make a spanish omelette, but I used frozen veg - onions, mushrooms, broccoli, peppers, spinach, with a tin of borlotti beans and 6 eggs beaten with milk, herbs and spices. I'm going to take some overnight oats with frozen cherries to work as well, so I am not tempted to buy snacks and I am still eating my daily weetabix. I'll have to make something else Tuesday night, either spag bol, pasta bake, or veggie chilli. I think I'll try the potato soup idea once I've run out of other food, as I have a couple of packs of baking potatoes left.
Feels like I'm really focusing on food, as minimising groceries and not making any unnecessary daily expenditure is the only leeway there is currently, as everything aside from that is bills, debts and petrol. There won't be much opportunity to work at home for a while, so I am not taking any other car trips.
Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…
Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)
Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)
Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)
Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)
Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)
Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)
3 -
I love a boiled potato dropped into hm veg soup. It’s cheap and filling
June 2026, Mortgage free, Emergency fund fully funded & £200/200 cash maximum pb holding .:jWeight 12st challenge 11st 2lb
Gift to children challenge £40k in 2 years. Short term gift challenge 7 presents and $1300 can by September.
Determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection. I’m not perfect but I’m good enough.
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6673398/hopefully-cruising-with-focus-towards-retirement#latest2 -
Boiled potatoes do in fact improve everything don't they. When I was young and poor as a uni student, I used to have a boiled potato butty, with a cheap white roll, salt, pepper and ketchup. It's so nice!
Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…
Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)
Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)
Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)
Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)
Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)
Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)
0 -
I now have an unpleasant work task to do and I am allowing myself 2 hours so I can get an early night.
Update: I have done it - it took 3 hours, but it's over. One less horrible task left!
Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…
Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)
Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)
Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)
Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)
Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)
Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)
1 -
After all of my efforts, I actually forgot to bring my lunch today and had to buy some. I paid £3.50 for a firecracker chicken microwave pot. It wasn't great, but that's not end of the world expenditure. Haven't felt much like eating anyway, as we are going through a bit of an uncertain time of structural shifts at work. I am working a late shift tonight, so there will be no time for tea. All of this is money saving in a way…..
Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…
Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)
Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)
Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)
Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)
Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)
Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)
1 -
Decided I am fed up of all my greys but a trip to the hairdresser is unaffordable, so I have bought a box dye for £8.50. A bit scared to ruin the bathroom though. Whilst there I spent £2.86 on yellow sticker items (wafer thin chicken, 2 small focacia breads, parsnips, broccoli, stir fry, pittas, 2kg of golden king potatoes), so that will mean I don't have to do a big shop when I get paid on Wednesday as these can keep me going a few more days until the weekend. If I am creative I can try to last an extra week.
Tomorrow night I'm going to have a night off and just cook something, dye my hair and have an early night. I'll have the stir fry for my tea and probably also make something that will last the following few days. I've just eaten the vegetable and borlotti bean omelette I made yesterday and it was really nice. It's quite comforting to eat things I already made in advance and to know it's nutritious and cheap.
Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…
Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)
Postgrad Loan: starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)
Personal Loan: starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)
Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)
Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)
Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)
3
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards