We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Turning Straw into Gold: Creating Long Term Security & A Solid Home
Comments
-
I've been reading further about the no buy year and decided I'm going to do it until the end of this year and see how I like it. The rules are that I can only buy essentials, food, utilities and petrol, and I have to maintain what I have. I am ok to repair things or replace things that are used up, but I have to use what I have first, unless it can only be replaced by rebuying. I won't be buying clothes, shoes, or makeup. The only exceptions may be if there is something cheap that's needed for the house or any maintanance. It's sort of what I'm doing now anyway, so shouldn't be too much of a stretch and will help me pay my debts.
@Dakota_Rose, the pebble colour sounds lovely, and the stair runner. I know what you mean about it being too big to think of all the stuff you would like or that needs doing. It would be too much to focus on all of it at once. Plus, I think most issues with homes are aspects that can be lived with. People forever have lived with non-asthetic homes that are functional rather than pretty. I am focusing a bit on keeping things plain and gradually getting items I want when the opportunity arises. Trusting that over time things will move towards where they need to be!! I didn't watch anything in the end as I am struggling to get the use out of the netflix account 🤣. I got it under peer pressure as people around me kept saying it would do me good to watch TV. I don't much like TV though and have never owned a television before. The netflix isn't costing me too much, as it's now only £1 on top of my broadband bill.
Today I've got huge amounts of work to do and I want to go out for a walk as well. I need to re-set the kitchen, by tidying, washing the dishes, and sorting the bins and recycling. I've just put the washing machine on as a start. I like Saturday mornings doing those bits, as it's a nice routine now.
Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…
Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)
Postgrad Loan (6%): starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)
Personal Loan (6.4%): starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)
Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)
Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)
Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)
2 -
I forgot to mention that I got a massive bag of sliced mixed peppers from the supermarket for only 52p. I think they were the leftover pizza toppings from the pizza counter where you select your own toppings. I have just stir fried them with a pack of shitake mushrooms (82p) and I'm now mixing in a bag of gnocchi (£1.80) with a bit of fajita spice. That will be my lunch for 3 days, £1.05p per portion 😁.
I saw something on social media about five lunches for a fiver and wondered about that too.
Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…
Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)
Postgrad Loan (6%): starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)
Personal Loan (6.4%): starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)
Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)
Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)
Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)
2 -
I've done a few rounds of washing up, wiped down some surfaces, laundry, and thrown away a few things from the cupboards that were well past their use by date. I've also taken a nap and read a bit of a book ("After He's Gone" by Katherine Bolger Hyde, for free on Borrowbox). I get so many small things done when I am avoiding effortful work that I don't want to do 🤣. I'm now having a break with a chopped up pear and apple (yellow sticker bargains) and trying a cup of the Victoria Sponge flavour tea. I'm also still getting a lot of joy out of my sustainable water bottle, I've been carrying it around the house with me and filling it up before I go to bed. I am drinking more water now because of this and feel better for it.
Small things are so nice, I've really been discovering that over this year since I started this.
Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…
Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)
Postgrad Loan (6%): starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)
Personal Loan (6.4%): starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)
Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)
Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)
Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)
2 -
Still in work avoidance mode, I have been cleaning the bathroom, and laid out some things I already own next to my bed so I can make a point of sleeping better. I have put out a soft eye mask that blocks the light, depuffing eye gel, a silk hair cover to protect my hair (it's ridiculous), some mouldable ear plugs, and a magnesium foot spray. Using the things I have that feel luxurious instead of my money saving having the austerity vibe that I don't enjoy. This combined with all the drinking water and eating better food should hopefully help my energy to return, as I am sick of being permanently tired. In between all of this, I have put some sweet potatoes in the oven to eat over the next couple of days. I love weekends like this, just faffing around in the house 🤣❤️. I'll put some oil on my hair later and a friend has just said she will visit my house over the next month or so, which will encourage me to clean all of it 👍️
Updated last day of the month… reducing debt and improving wealth…
Mortgage: starting at -£222,469 (Jan 26) now at -£219,670 (Oct 26)
Postgrad Loan (6%): starting at -£8,974 (Jan 26) now at -£7,100 (Oct 26)
Personal Loan (6.4%): starting at -£11,466 (Jan 26) now at -£9,200 (Oct 26)
Emergency Fund: starting at £5,511 (Jan 26) now at £2,600 (Oct 26)
Jan 27 Tax Fund: £2,750 / £3,298 (Oct)
Net Debt: starting at -£203,926 (Sep 26) now at -£202,930 (Oct 26)
2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards