We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Settling in for the long haul

1…727374757678»

Comments

  • Dakota_Rose
    Dakota_Rose Posts: 820 Forumite
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Thank you both. @FootyFanDan I’ve looked into how much I’d lose just dropping one day a week (if I could even make that work) and it’s scary money at £650+. If I wanted to start something new, I’d need a plan to make a good chunk of that in a different way. Would love my own business or shop but can’t see anything making that kind of money without serious investment first. What would so many of us do for an extra £650 a month? My work isn’t that terrible that I could justify it. In fact it isn’t ‘terrible’ at all, (but it does have a high % of early deaths after retirement due to stress I believe). But of course, if my mental health starts to feel too vulnerable, I’ll need to think more carefully longer term. I’m very protective of my mental peace but can be anxious over anything in life and my hormones are hitting me hard at the moment. This is definitely my difficult week of the month.

    I’m so glad you enjoyed the book as much as I did @ohdearhowdidthathappen - I’m not sure I could keep saying on here how much I was hooked on the series if you didn’t. That was the most filthy one by far 😂 🤣 🔥. Have you pre-ordered the new one? I’ve just started Throne of Glass, but I think I need a quiet weekend to give it proper headspace.

    PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
    21/26 books for 2026

    Take the time to find the joy in each day

  • DancingInTheRain
    DancingInTheRain Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Career changes, peri-menopause, juggling kids, reading filthy books. I've definitely found my tribe here 😂😂

    On a serious note, on the career front there's no harm in exploring options and seeing what may or may not work for you. Pleased work isn't too taxing at the moment although that is a sobering thought on the post-retirement front.

    Big congratulations to DS on his first job, lovely news.

    Debt Busting Again in 2026

    Starting Debt 03.05.26 £5345. Total 01.10.26 £2994

    Challenge 1 - Clear M&S Card: Starting Balance 03.05.26 £600, cleared 05.07.26

    Challenge 2 - Clear V12 Finance: Starting Balance 05.07.26 £600, cleared 12.08.26

    Challenge 3 - Clear Barclaycard: Starting Balance 12.08.26 £940, current total 01.10.26 £344

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.