We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Settling in for the long haul
Comments
-
Today will not be a NSD. I’m taking Mum out for her birthday shopping trip and have promised her lunch out. We usually just get a meal deal to eat in the car between shops (which we all secretly enjoy very much) but I will offer her a cafe stop if she’d prefer a proper treat. Her main gift from us was a gift card to spend in each of her three favourite shops. That was greatly appreciated and she’s very much looking forward to her shopping day today.
I have a list of things the boys need topping up in their wardrobes to see them through autumn/winter but it’s coming from everyone’s individual pots. I’d like a new pair of (cheap) fleecy lounge bottoms for the house this winter. Should get them cheaply if they have my size in stock. I’m still on the lookout for the elusive perfect lunch bag too. If I come back with one of those, I’ll be delighted. I have my own personal spends mostly intact so can treat myself to some small treats.PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
21/26 books for 2026Take the time to find the joy in each day
1 -
one of my real life friends won £50k on the lottery about 25 years ago so the £50k was an even more significant amount of money. My friend was going through a divorce and held onto the ticket until the finances were finalised before cashing it in. Her ex had been very financially controlling so it didn't feel wrong for her to delay receipt of her good fortune. She did check everyday that the ticket was safe.
4 -
Now that is a good news story! It has karma written all over it 😊
PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
21/26 books for 2026Take the time to find the joy in each day
0 -
Today was busy but nice. We all enjoyed it. We got most of what was on our list and eldest is now kitted out for the next few months of work/college.
We’ve enjoyed a roast dinner and the leftover chicken will be used for a risotto tomorrow. That’s always delicious!
The week ahead looks to be very busy so I’m going to enjoy an hour this evening just reading with a hot drink before bed. I’m really enjoying the Aldi chamomile, apple and passionflower tea at the moment for my bedtime drink.
If I’m going to finish my handmade gifts before Christmas, I will need to start keeping some empty weekend days in my diary. Life has felt too busy for my liking lately!
Sending everyone positive vibes for the working week ahead. Mine is set to be non-stop as usual.PBs £3050 (including £1k EF & £1k Christmas fund)
21/26 books for 2026Take the time to find the joy in each day
2 -
What kind of handmade gifts do you make?
We’ve been keeping one free weekend day every week recently and it’s a really nice weekly reset. Otherwise everything feels like it rolls into one with no break 🥴
DFD March 2025 (£35000 paid off)
FFEF £20000 saved
Currently treading water while having cancer treatment and trying not to dip into FFEF too much!1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards