🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

free fresh yeast (merged)

Options

Comments

• Lord_Gardener
    Lord_Gardener Posts: 2,971 Forumite
    Options
    Throw in a large handfull of sultanas for that tea cake experience by the slice. Yummy with butter!

LG
    I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
  • WeirdoMagnet
    WeirdoMagnet Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sashacat wrote:
    can some one please post and idiot's recipe for home made bread....the first post above to give a recipe left out the yeast and the second post gave no instructions..other than mix together..please a simple recipe, thanks

This is the one that I use... OHs parents have used this recipe for years. :)

Ingredients

2oz live yeast*
    ½ pint boiling water
    1 pint cold water
    1.5kg bag of flour (save a bit for kneading)**
    2oz butter
    1 tbsp salt

Method

1. Put hot and cold water in bowl. Crumble in yeast and dissolve with whisk.
    2. Add the flour (saving a bit for kneading), the salt and the butter and mix.
    3. Once the ingredients are thoroughly combined, turn the dough out and knead well, for about 5 minutes.
    4. Put the dough back in the bowl, cover with a damp tea towel, leave in a warm place (I leave near the oven) and allow to rise to about double its size (about an hour).
    5. In the meantime oil the tins with a tiny amount of oil (I use olive oil).
    6. Turn the risen dough out and knead again ("knock it back"). Divide dough as appropriate – we use a sharp, smooth bladed knife. I find this amount will make four loaves (they won’t be as big as shop loaves). ‘Wrap’ the dough so you get a smooth ‘top’ (I hope this makes sense!) and place into the tins.
    7. Allow to rise again to ‘loaf size’.
    8. Bake for about ½ hour at 220-250°c.
    9. Turn out on rack to cool.

There's a similar recipe in Jamie Olivers' books. I adapted my recipe to make his foccacia at the weekend too. Yumm! :drool:

Good luck.

Georgina
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
  • WeirdoMagnet
    WeirdoMagnet Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    My local Tesco have stopped giving yeast out - they won't even sell it! Mind you, whenever I asked for it before they looked at me like I was barmy. :doh:

Asda are great though, and service with a smile too. I haven't been to Tesco in ages, even though it's just next door to me! :p
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
  • Simba_25
    Simba_25 Posts: 329 Forumite
    Options
    all this talk of bread has got me craving fresh bread!! lol got no yeast at the min so just dug the bread maker out..... will definatly be taking a trip to asda later today though! many thanks
  • nillhouse
    nillhouse Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    Georgina wrote:
    My local Tesco have stopped giving yeast out - they won't even sell it! Mind you, whenever I asked for it before they looked at me like I was barmy. :doh:

Asda are great though, and service with a smile too. I haven't been to Tesco in ages, even though it's just next door to me! :p

You will probally find they are running low on it, when I used to work as a Tesco Baker, we stopped giving it out at busy times, i.e. Easter/Christmas, as we were finding, we were running out ourselfs!
    Your local store probally has a waste or stock rotation issue, which is making them only order what they need to.:cool:
    Tescos latest enemy.........
  • Never done it before, but needed live yeast to make some dandelion wine, so walked into local Asda and asked for some at bakery counter. Surprised me when they said "no problem", and gave me about 3 ozs of the stuff, no charge whatsoever.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of buspassheaven. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to abuse@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • TheFunkyAssDancer
    Options
    ah sweet, my sixform's chemistry teacher said something about being able to get free yeast at our tesco, but i never thought they were serious! hmm..time for a nice homebrew me thinks.....
  • mp7125
    mp7125 Posts: 395 Forumite
    Options
    ben500 wrote:
    I'd be interested to hear the response they give you

Just sent another email asking for a reply to my query. Will update you all once I have their answer.
  • full-time-mum
    full-time-mum Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone out there got a decent wheat free bread recipe?

I've tried loads of packet mixes and recipes and have yet to find a really good one.

I no longer eat wheat but really miss a decent slice of bread.

Thanks
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • icklefaqua
    icklefaqua Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    hi there
    i would also like a wheat free recipe and a normal recipe.
    went to asda today and they gave me 52g (1 7/8oz) of freash yeast.
    What can i make with that....any recipes?
    Make love not war
    spend less, play more
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills