We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Memorygirls Make Do and Mend for 2008 Thread

1…2223242628

Comments

  • how come it stopped...this great thread has stopped??? :confused:
  • Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    The thread has stopped because it was begun in Moneysaving OldStyle, where there were many people interested, but then it was moved and now no one reads it :(
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • Blairweech wrote: »
    The thread has stopped because it was begun in Moneysaving OldStyle, where there were many people interested, but then it was moved and now no one reads it :(

    I'd still read it, but nothing is posted any more - you need updates to read??? there are still lots of people that would read it if there were updates I'm sure...
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • I read through this whole fascinating thread... but then it stopped like a book with the last chapter missing:confused:

    Why don't we turn it into memories of memory girl and post the things that she taught us and what we learned from her, or how she inspired us to change.

    I learned that it is important to cultivate some time to do something useful as well as something you enjoy like how she used to knit in front of the tv. In my case it will be ironing in front of the tv or reading (a library book;)) in bed. She seemed to have such a calm happy nature and achieved so much, I really need to adopt an attitude like hers.

    Inspired by memory girl I am going to try to find everything I need on freecycle or really cheaply and give it some tlc....try not to pay full price again.

    What has this thread taught you?
  • I still don't get why this topic was moved to this board - surely 'make - do - and - mend' is about as OS as you can get?

    I think this thread taught me to look at how wasteful I was being. I really enjoyed reading this thread when I found it, and now it has resurfaced I will probably dip back into it later today, when I have a little more time.
  • Hey Memory Girl!

    It's nearly time to open that envelope!

    Hope you have a good birthday next week

    :)

    GW
  • Memory_Girl
    Memory_Girl Posts: 4,957 Forumite
    Hi Guys

    I now have just been sorted out with internet at home with a wee dongly thing, so my question is? ........................................ can I come back and play?????

    Memorygirl

    PS quick update - baby is now 15 months and walking, never did sell the house I am doing doing up - cos pants market and still doing it up.

    Still living the OS dream - but want to shake things up a bit between now and Xmas, including stepping back into the world of work after having my leave after bubs was born.

    Anyone for more baby steps??

    MG XXXX

    Fingers crossed you guys
    FINALLY AND OFFICIALLY DEBT FREE
    Small Emergency Fund £500 / £500
    Pay off all Debts £10,000 / £10,000
    Grown Up Emergency Fund £6000 / £6000 :j
    Pension Provision £6688/£2376
  • vandanfc
    vandanfc Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Hi

    Good to see you back. Sorry but your update needs to be much more in depth.

    Fill us in on EVERYTHING - even if it takes 12 posts - please !!!!!
  • oldMcDonald
    oldMcDonald Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    Yes! Please, please do come back and play!!

    So pleased every time I see this thread *ping* up in my subs list :D
  • Keiss_21
    Keiss_21 Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    Hya,

    Just discovered this thread today and I have spent a few hours reading it all through. You are a real inspiration Memorygirl!!! :T:T

    I have been off work for over 8 months now due to illness, and am ashamed to report that I have hardly done anything except play electronic games....and come on MSE ofcourse! Admittedly the medication I am still on has left me a bit do-lally and unable to concentrate very well.

    I too was very good at "making do and mending" when my sons were small 16 years ago (mainly due to DH having an 8% pay CUT when DS2 was due...aaargh!). I used a lovely shop on the way onto town, set up by some local mum's, which sold second-hand baby & children clothes, as well as other bits'n'pieces. I had an "account" there, where money went in when clothes I had brought in had sold (minus 10% which went to the shop owners). So I would bring in a batch which DS2 had grown out of (very quickly!) and if some of my stuff had sold, I would be able to get something "new" for the boys, with that money. They loved going into that shop! It was a really good scheme and I certainly used it well.

    I am reasonably good at sewing, knitting etc as well as doing up furniture, but am ashamed to report that we have bought a new kitchen from Ikea..it is my first "proper kitchen" as I call it, but perhaps we should have bought second-hand, though I do love my new kitchen!! In my defence, I have had make-do-and-mend kitchens for the past 26 years, having to alter other people's kitchens every time. I did think about trying to find second-hand bits and pieces to fit our awkward kitchen, but being ill, I wasn't really up to it. I know it is a lame excuse, but the unit holding the belfast sink (badly marked now, but will re-use it else where) was disintegrating fast and we needed to replace it quickly (DH made it 14 years ago, so it lasted well!). We were only going to get a sink base-unit, but things (and the budget) just grew! DH is putting it all in (slowly) and is fitting a lovely oak worktop (again Ikea), using of-cuts to make shelves
    Still, the whole kitchen so far has cost us under £2000 (including paint and floor vinyl - an eBay snip). A lot I suppose, but I am getting the cupboards that I want, which fit in our big wonky (and low) kitchen. We do have 3 chairs (Freecycle) waiting for me to clean, sand and paint cream - yup, me too Memorygirl. I have only to find a table for the kitchen (I am eying up DS1's table - £15 from Sue Ryder charity shop last year), though DH and I are having a disagreement as to whether to have a gate-leg or a solid table-top. Now we are waiting to see what space there will be once everything has been moved to their final place...still
    a bit of turmoil in the kitchen!

    I will investigate the flylady web-site another day, as I have been on this computer too long today. I have been getting up regularly and talking to both DSs, so not too bad, but I am still in my dressing gown...aaargh!

    Off to get washed and dressed before DH gets home!

    This thread has definitely got me thinking about things...glad you are back Memorygirl, do let us know what you have been up to in the past year.

    PS I am married to a "Lang-toon lad!! Only Fifers will understand this!!


    13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.