We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Banco Santander Spain - Non-Resident Account (EUR)

Thought it might be useful for some to know that Banco Santander (Spain) offers a totally free Euros account for non-residents. It has a Spanish IBAN and BIC. Comes with a virtual debit card. 

You must be over 18, have a passport and live in the UK (or a few other countries). 

Took 1 hour from application to having the app set up and receiving my first payment to the account. 

Can't post the link to their website as I'm too new. 





«13

Comments

  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 2,105 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Potentially very useful, thanks!
    I’m a Forum Senior Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards, Savings & Investments, Budgeting & Bank Accounts, and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.  All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 19 May 2025 at 9:29PM
    Interesting they allow residents of the USA to open such an account.
    Seems to me due to US regulations most UK banks don't want anything to do with US citizens. Might be to do with FACTA reporting, but I admit I am reaching.
    I wonder what allowed Banco Santander to make this offer?

    Edited to add: I suppose the 2nd interesting point is that many of countries elgibile for the offer, already use the Euro. So their residents should be able to get Euro accounts with IBAN codes?
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 4,335 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    lr1277 said:
     
    I wonder what allowed Banco Santander to make this offer?

    FATCA doesn't prohibit accounts outside the US. Just the account providers must adhere with onerous reporting requirements if the account holder is an American citizen.

  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 4,335 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 May 2025 at 11:36PM
    Link: https://www.bancosantander.es/en/particulares/cuentas-tarjetas/cuentas-corrientes/cuenta-online-con-pasaporte

    Thank you to the OP, useful information, I'll be applying right away


    EDIT: I got too excited. The application process is well dodgy. It didn't like Chrome at all, so I resorted to Edge. Once there, it restarted itself twice without warning, once at the very end of the application. I'll try again tomorrow. It also helps if you can speak a little Spanish as you get bombarded with Spanish / a mixture of 'creative' translation from Spanish to English.



  • I've got one of these and it took a fair while to open after application - if you require a physical debit card you will need to supply an address in Spain otherwise it's Apple/Google pay only.
  • landsberger64
    landsberger64 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I opened one of these, and the application didn't work on any laptop I have, or any browser. It did on my phone, and although I set the account language to English, I had to navigate 90% of it in Spanish (nothing too difficult). I did the KYC and 12 hours later, I had a Spanish bank account with an ES IBAN and having tried a few low cost transfers, it seems to work quite well. The app is now predominately in English, with occasional forays into Spanish and adverts in Castiliano as well. I don't have a physical debit card, but a virtual Apple Pay/Google Pay one. Works for me.

    It may come in useful when I am on the European mainland dodging charges now being levied by companies for non-EU/EEA cards.

  • Sam_666
    Sam_666 Posts: 330 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Absolutlly pointless for what you want to do. Plenty UK CC with no fees for use in EU.

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Neither of us knows exactly what they want to do, but with regard to "dodging charges now being levied by companies for non-EU/EEA cards" (e.g. Danish businesses levying surcharges for such non-EU/EEA cards), a UK card clearly doesn't resolve that, by definition! Likewise, given the mention of transfers, implying between bank accounts, a credit card, UK or otherwise, is hardly going to be the answer to that…

  • landsberger64
    landsberger64 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Not really - already found "charge free" cards levying fees in Portugal, Spain, Denmark and Germany - not charged by the CC company or your bank, but by the card machine operator.

    I've also found that SEPA/IBAN transfers to and from the account are considerably quicker than other Euro accounts I hold

  • Worried_fool
    Worried_fool Posts: 282 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Except… many merchants in the Euro zone (especially Spain) use DCC fiercely, while cash machines have high charges for non-EU cards. A card based in an EU country would be a way round these problems.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.