We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Garden Work In Progress
Comments
-
See you've got a sort of veg basket rack for your pots.
I've got a smaller one in the garage to store garden bags and tarps in the garage.
Useful things and mostly given away these days.
Your garden is looking really interesting now.. lots of healthy big Tom plants.I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!
viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on
The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well
3 -
Quick! Unpainted that shed and sell it to these people!
Your garden is looking well after all your hard work, I especially like the brick path in your working area
Edit - that is not my house.2 -
wow -taff you have been so busy! It is really taking shape isn't it!
I love your little brick floored garden nook - it's full of promise! I love your wire basket storage system - got a touch of jealousy there and feeling v inspired. No rain is going to puddle there and cause a sludgy mess
What is the white wrought iron object? Are you going to use it as some sort of climbing support for plants?
A combination of real life, extreme weather (too hot or too wet) has meant my poor garden ahs seen little by way of care and attention recently - having seen everything you've done I feel motived to get things done this weekend.
((WM))2 -
Following, my garden needs a major revamp!1
-
Really enjoying seeing it all develop Taff - love the black greenhouse and fencing which make the garden look a lot bigger.Reckon it will look bigger/wider still once the old greenhouse is gone (oops is that still the plan? Will remove my foot from mouth if I’ve got that wrong)
what are your next steps?Lancashire
PV 5.04kWp SW facing
Solar Battery 6.5 kWh
🐙 Intelligent Go
Mortgage freedom January 2024 - paid off 7 years early by making overpayments where we could.3 -
So things have changed a little, the angle is still there for the stones, but I put in a small edged bed using up some of the tree that I kept as edging, the bark is almost falling off it now so it will be blonde when it's all off. I transplanted some verbena and some of the calla lilies in there, and the achillea, we'll see what lives, although the verbena is already sprouting. The smaller green bed moved as well, as well as Princess Jasmine, she's still alive. I've moved some of the stones that were at the back but the process is move some, let the rain wash the dirt off the ones still there, then move them again etc. I was riddling them to remove the dirt but it's been so wet that isn't possible now.
I also put some metal edging in, which was a ball ache to do, it kept falling apart because there was no way I could bend the little metal key in the ground. And it's a bit wonky…The tiles are there for the cats to walk across for now until I've finished moving the stones and we've walked it flat.
I've been to the back of BM today to fetch some cardboard, which will go down and get covered in wood chip [ some chip, a lot of green] because although I would like bound gravel, finances are stretched so a tipper load of woodchip will do for now. It's extra compost anyway when it breaks down. I had two big garden bags which we filled with it, they are now fifty degrees, so one of them will probably be left to make compost. [I stuck my compost bin thermometer in there to see]
All the grass is going, either to be a pathway, or to be a bed. There will be the same ish walkway through the back left, but this will probably be chip too, and I will be taking apart the beds to spread the dirt to make a larger single bed.
That above does look a bit drab and dreary, OH is itching to pressure wash it, I'm not arguing with him :) One thing about having an allotment now is that between that and my garden, there is no waste at all now, it's a loop, what can't be used or rotted in the garden, goes to the allotment. Things to take there include persicaria, some rose campion, some yellow loosestrife, some giant scabious. This also means my green bin is empty, which means i can use it to store kindling in.
And that's what my real garden looks like as of today :)
Non me fac calcitrare tuum culi5 -
Sorry WM, the white wrought iron thing is a plant box, like a window container but huge. It is currently holding down the tarp on next doors roof but will be pained and then I have two containers that will fit into it. It will probably be going on top of the sleepers to the side against the white wall, with geraniums etc. I saved some seed from my favourite orange ones last year, going to see if I can sprout them for this year.
And the fence was painted last year but the plants in front of them at the time, whilst waving in the wind, scraped at it a bit so in all this rain it's just washed off. That's another job on OHs list of things to do.
Non me fac calcitrare tuum culi2 -
wow it looks a lot bigger now! We had the same situation with our fences painted a similar colour to you. The longevity of fence paint improved a lot when we moved away from r@nseal and used c@prinol instead
Lancashire
PV 5.04kWp SW facing
Solar Battery 6.5 kWh
🐙 Intelligent Go
Mortgage freedom January 2024 - paid off 7 years early by making overpayments where we could.3 -
What a difference Taff!! It's looking like a real garden now.
Love the fire grate. Some pots of plants would look good in that 😉
I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!
viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on
The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well
1 -
Suze, OH was talking about staining it first, then painting it, same as the wood in the steps, I will tell him what you said..
2P… err….there were some cyclamen in there, but they decided Norway was a better for them..I can't keep those things alive at all….I'm just going to chuck something indestructible in there next time, when I find something indestructible…
Non me fac calcitrare tuum culi2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards






