We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Garden Work In Progress

245

Comments

  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 15,616
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I went out and gave them a brush with my hands gently, some dropped off. You can see which ones re probably not going to survuve already, they're much smaller and no so well attached...
    Non me fac calcitrare tuum culi
  • Sapindus
    Sapindus Posts: 831
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'd be looking at changing the path so it doesn't run straight down the middle.  Very envious of the greenhouse!
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 15,616
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The path is most definitely going, it's crumbling concrete and I loathe it.
    Non me fac calcitrare tuum culi
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,359
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's great fun looking at Images for different types of paths and shapes, what people have done.
    You don't have to copy but it helps see what you can do then form what is right for you.

    Did you ever see my post about brick paths? I'd love one but people with experience of them said they always get slippery whatever bricks you try. 

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 15,616
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I remember seeing many tempting pictures of garden bits you posted from pinterest and I also remember you saying that..Surely there must be some way of keeping them green free.
    The path is going not only because it's crumbly but because the grass meets it at different heights so if you happen to walk half on half off [ which is very easy to do when you're moving stuff around] it's all too easy to twist your ankle.
    I think I'm either going to go for a bound gravel effect, or light brown/beige stones [ I think it's just bog standard gravel they use for concrete and stuff but I like the buff colour] , basically something that won't pose a trip hazard for I have the clumsy gene and I'm not afraid to use it. After seeing the metal edging Dusty posted on another thread I'm quite liking that too. I think I'm a bit contradictory in styles in one way, I like a wild garden but I like a neat edge too.
    Non me fac calcitrare tuum culi
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 10,856
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    -taff said:
    I think I'm a bit contradictory in styles in one way, I like a wild garden but I like a neat edge too.
    This has a long and noble history 😊
    You’ve just described how Vita Sackville West (romantic gardener, amongst many other things) and Edward Lutyens (her husband architect) worked together 😉

    KK
    As at 26.09.26:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 - now £210,560
    - OPs to mortgage = £20,180 Estd. interest saved = £10,393 to date
    c. 17 months reduction in term
    Fixed rate 3.85% ends October 2030

    Read 72 books of target 52 in 2026 as @ 10th October. 
    Produce tracker: £329 of £400 in 2026

    Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
    Watch your words, they become your actions. 
    Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.