We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Garden Work In Progress

135

Comments

  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 15,616
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 2 June 2025 at 11:40AM
    So the concrete path is gone, two of the bits that branched off were just set on dirt so very easy to remove. The greenhouse frame is up, awaiting decision on painting black [ so far the hammerite is rubbish after testing, so potentially psraying it instead or not, depends...] The wood at an angle is where there will be gravel in front of the double doors, the straight one on it's own is the level the gravel has to get to to be level with the side, so I've used some of the concrete to fill in. The concrete looking bit on the left in front of the angled wood is concrete blocks in the dirt, so I'll remove those myself and use elsewhere...probably to the left side of the shed to level the ground there.
    There was a bit of actual stone in the footings so I've kept back some of that to add to walls. OH is potentially on board with a gabion or two after I explained about planks across the top to sit on...[insert exasperated smiley ]
    And the new fence panels at the back x 3 are in. 



    Non me fac calcitrare tuum culi
  • Working_Mum
    Working_Mum Posts: 866
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ooooh it's taking shape -taff :smiley: Looking so sunny down there I bet you can't wait to get it all sorted.

    I sprayed my greenhouse black last year - it would have ben easier to do it whilst it was still in pieces on the floor but I did it whilst in situ - I know I wasted a lot because I didn't hold the can close enough to the metal frame and a lot was lost to the wind! I wore rubber gloves over an old long sleeved t shirt (guess how I worked this out!) and held a piece of card behind where I was spraying and that helped focus my spraying efforts!

    Are you going to filling the first bit (up to the angled wood) with gravel? Looks like you've got a bit of levelling to do - it's back breaking work isn't it :(

    I'm a gabion fan so well done on getting Mr -taff on board.

    Are you going to keep your existing greenhouse? 


  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 3,602
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Farway said:
    kimwp said:
    I've been told to proactively go in before the June drop and take off about half of the little apples so you can choose which ones (bigger, unblemished probably) to keep growing.
    Sounds wise, but what if the among the ones you leave then June Drop?

    Guess no right or wrong way, as in most garden things, do which ever way suits you & your requirements

    Oops sorry, I didn't bookmark this thread.

    My understanding is that the tree will basically drop half of its apples in the June drop and by picking them off, you are deciding which ones it keeps, presumably it only "wants" to put energy into half, so it puts out twice as many flowers, then gets them through into little apples before dropping half, in case only half survived through those flowering/little fruit development stages?
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • Sapindus
    Sapindus Posts: 831
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I love the angle.  Gives it more movement.  Not so sure about painting the greenhouse frame black - won't it absorb heat and do more stretching and shrinking?
  • Working_Mum
    Working_Mum Posts: 866
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Absolutely everything takes so much time -taff - the DIY / reno programmes have got a lot to answer for! I watched an Alan Titchmarsh one yesterday and he counted 54 people working on the project for one day - that's 54 man days which is a HUGE project in any book. 

    If you could just click your fingers and the garden was done I feel sure it wouldn't have the same feeling for you. Although maybe being able to do the work without the aching body afterwards might be worth clicking my fingers for! 

    The black greenhouse looks amazing - taff - really modern and classy in my view. Black greenhouses start from £400 so a few quid on spray paint makes it a right bargain.

    ((WM))

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,359
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'm surprised, I really like the black greenhouse - 
    Can a greenhouse be black? Shouldn't it be green? But they're mostly white........

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 5,200
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Forumite
    Ditto twopenny. I'd never have thought I'd like black, but that does look well taff :)
  • Looks great and what a start! I too am following this thread with a keen interest!
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.