We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

best reward credit card that is easy to reconcile

Options
Blossie
Blossie Posts: 14 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hello, I'm looking for a recommendation for a reward/cashback credit card which is really easy to reconcile with receipts. APR is not an issue as we pay off in full each month. We have been using sainsburys bank for all household spending to max rewards, but you cant download the statement easily to excel which i normally use. also open to other ideas of methods for reconciling credit card statements! thanks very much.

Comments

• sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 811 Ambassador
    First Anniversary I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Amex lets you download transactions to Excel and various other formats...

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 May at 9:46PM
    Options
    Was going to say, Amex let's you download statements and transactions in Excel.

Barclaycard also let's you do this. You can download as a csv file which opens in Excel.

Although not a credit card, there is no way to do this with Chase which I find annoying.
  • lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I reconcile in a different way to you so I put this out there as a suggestion.
    When I spend, I enter the spend details into personal finance software (though you could use a spreadsheet).
    Then every few days I log onto online banking or on the app and then do the reconciliation.
    By going online to reconcile, I don't need to wait for the statement to be produced. Also once the data is entered in the software, I can bin the receipt, unless I need it for proof of purchase.
    I do look at the statement online to see how much I owe and the due date.
    This did go awry recently as there was suspected fraud on my card. So the bank cancelled the card and then it disappeared from online banking and the app. The amount owed stayed and this tallied with my reconciled figures. And the bank sent out paper statements at my request. Just in case. Hope that made sense.
  • lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In my previous post, I shoud have added, get the rewards card that works best for you. Don't let the technical difficulties tail wag the credit card dog.
    In my case when getting my first rewards card, I looked at where I spent most of my money after paying rent. That was at my supermarket. So I got the credit card from that supermarket.
    In terms of technical difficulties, I think you will be able to ask on this board and hopefully get a useful reply.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We've had an Amex Rewards card for several years - just changed over to Santander Edge which suits us as we hold a Santander current account, one of the requirements before applying.
    There is a £3 monthly fee, however that will be readily covered by the cashback accrued for all routine regular monthly spending -  such as supermarkets, petrol and online purchases etc.
    Very easy to follow transactions on my laptop, iPad or mobile 'phone.
  • Blossie
    Options
    We've had an Amex Rewards card for several years - just changed over to Santander Edge which suits us as we hold a Santander current account, one of the requirements before applying.
    There is a £3 monthly fee, however that will be readily covered by the cashback accrued for all routine regular monthly spending -  such as supermarkets, petrol and online purchases etc.
    Hi. Was thinking of that one. Do you know if you’re able to download to excel or is there another easier/better way of reconciling? Thanks 
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Blossie said:
    Hi. Was thinking of that one. Do you know if you’re able to download to excel or is there another easier/better way of reconciling? Thanks 
    Not sure tbh - I just check the account online to keep tabs.
    Found this online - hope it helps.

• Blossie
    Options
    Thankyou very much NoodleDoodleMan 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income