We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help wanted: Couldn't remember one of three memorable questions during phone call

Options
Hi, I had a phone call out of the blue from my bank asking me to confirm my details for security. It will have been in connection with a withdrawal request. The woman was quite brusque and I couldn't remember my third of three security answers (First car etc that sort of thing) but I know I got the first two right. She didn't say I had failed or anything but said she would pass it to back office and they would process my funds.

What I am worried about is some business letters are taking anything up to 17 days to arrive and if I did fail the security I possibly won't know about it for days or weeks. I don't want to call back in case they feel I am overly keen and thus up to no good (silly I know!)

Question is to anyone in the know: are you permitted to forget one of the three in these situations?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Truro_Paul
    Truro_Paul Posts: 32 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Should add its a savings/investment account not a regular current account
  • Truro_Paul
    Options
    @penners324  I didn't answer first time as I didn't recognise the number but then rang back after googling the number, so wasn't a scam 
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 811 Ambassador
    First Anniversary I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I suggest you call the bank to make sure it was a genuine call.  And if so, you can enquire about the status of the transfer.

The bank should have a protocol for confirming identity and resetting security questions in the case of forgotten details.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    A bit strange the bank called you about this.

Are you sure it's not a scam?
    Banks certainly do call about unusual transactions

@penners324  I didn't answer first time as I didn't recognise the number but then rang back after googling the number, so wasn't a scam 
    Phone numbers can be spoofed easily and scammers can easily find the telephone numbers for banks. If you believed the inbound number was indeed from your bank then yo should call them not wait for another inbound call which could be genuinely from them or from someone else who knows that number. 

It would be prudent to call them back on the number on your card if you think you failed the security questions and yet they said they'd be processing it anyway. 
  • Truro_Paul
    Options
    @sausage_time thanks, I just panicked a bit as the money is for a new car after changing my job. If she had flat out said "you've failed" then fair enough, my fault, but I was not told either way.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Any decent password manager software will allow you to hold "extra" data/notes like security questions & answers for any institutions that need them.

It's useful too if you don't want to use (or don't know) the "true" answers when you set them up.
  • TimeLord1
    TimeLord1 Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    You think they would try to make you aware of this beforehand how many people don't use banking codes and security information for years then asked out of the blue. What's your various questions, when the mind is on the task at hand.

As we age it will be a real task, unless A.I has better things ahead. Personally though any bank or investment contacting you without you having initiated it, do your own checks on them first. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure